0.35- rifts

"yeah, we had our 'i love you's' the other day." emma told james, a content smile on her pale face.

"bitch," james' eyes widened in excitement, "you guys didn't! how did he say it?"

emma scratched the back of her neck sheepishly, "i, uh, actually said it first. we were hiking and i just blurted it out."

"aw em, i'm so happy for you guys." james told her honestly, "hey, i have to go. i'll call you later." james winked through the facetime. emma nodded and bid him goodbye, hanging up the phone before hearing a soft knock on her door. tossing her phone lightly on her mattress, she made her way to the door.

"oh hey." emma told ellie and hannah as they walked into her room.

"your mom let us in, something about you being on the phone." ellie explained. emma nodded at her friends explanation.

"yeah, james and i were facetiming for a bit, y'know, before he leaves for new york to visit his brother." emma told the two.

"he's leaving?" hannah asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"well not forever," emma shook her head, "just for like a week. he didn't tell you?"

ellie and hannah both shook their head with a sign.

"oh damn, maybe he was going to. he doesn't leave until later today." emma tried to reason.

"you both have been forgetting us a lot, you know." hannah mentioned. ellie widened her eyes at her friends confession but that didn't stop hannah from continuing.

"you just hang out with your new best friends, forgetting about us and what's going on with us." hannah continued.

emma furrowed her eyebrows, "i'm sorry, have i really been that distant?"

ellie nodded sheepishly, "kinda, you just act less like emma, and more like every basic girl with a super hot boyfriend."

"i didn't realize, i'm sorry guys." emma apologized.

"you didn't realize?" hannah wasn't wanting to really let this go, "the first time we've spoken this week was today. only because ellie and i decided to see what the hell you were doing rather than hanging out with us."

"han-" emma started but was cut off by hannah continuing.

"we always make sure everything's okay with you, with emma.  i bet you haven't even heard that jacob and i broke up." hannah let a few stray tears escaped her eyes.

"you guys broke up?" emma's voice was quiet and sympathetic.

"i needed my best friend, but she was too busy with her own big troubles to notice."  hannah mumbled.

"i'm still in the honeymoon phase! you and jacob were just like this," emma shook her head, "we just said our i love you's."

"you guys said it?" ellie asked, widening her eyes.

"y-yeah." emma answered, finally realizing how distant she's been from her friends.

"guys-" she started but was harshly cut off.

"save it, emma. you clearly don't want to share anything of importance with us." hannah stormed out of emma's room with an angry expression on her usually joyful face.

"ellie." emma brought her attention.

"emma, look, hannah's right you know. she's just overly upset right now because of everything with jacob. give her a few days," ellie paused as she sympathetically looked at her best friend, "give me a few days."

emma watched as ellie closed her door, and tears forming in her eyes as she fell to the ground with sobs escaping her lips.

she felt as if she just lost her best friends.