Like Peas & Carrots

Okay, so after my little rant at Will on the phone I wasn't expecting to hear from him, and it probably would've suited me not to see him for a few days, while I tried to find the right words to break the news to him

And then my front door buzzer went just as I'd finished wiping my eyes and blowing my nose — crying over My Girl; I should've known that I was too emotional for a film like that.

"Look, I know you probably don't want to see me, but I'm here now," Will said when I opened the door to reveal him standing outside.

When he put it like that, I could hardly turn him away. He followed me through to the living room and sat on the sofa opposite me.

"I went to the shop on the way over," he said while holding his carrier bags aloft with a smile.

And I won't lie, he was really fucking adorable when he smiled like that; even though I wanted to be mad with him, I couldn't stop myself from smiling back.

"I thought I could cook for you."

"You cannot cook," I said, and then I started crying because no one had ever offered to cook for me before. No one had ever really cared enough to still come and see if I was okay after I'd told them to go away.

"Why are you crying?" Will asked, getting up from his seat and sitting next to me instead.

How could I even begin to answer that question? I guess I could've told him the truth, but I didn't, I wasn't ready for Will to walk out and leave me just yet.

"I think we should eat some nice food, maybe open that bottle of tequila and see where the night takes us," he said with a wink.

I take it back, Will can cook, I managed to get out of drinking the tequila, I told him that I didn't think I could stomach it after the sickness bug. We sat on the sofa together for a long time; Will had his arm around me the whole way through Forrest Gump. He didn't even bat an eyelid when I wiped my eyes and nose on the sleeve of my dressing gown, at the part where Lieutenant Dan turns up at Forrest and Jenny's wedding with his new legs.

While we sat there together I kept going over and over in my head what I wanted to say to him. I wanted to tell him everything and I wanted him to tell me that everything would be okay. I hoped that he'd say that this friends with benefits thing was stupid and whatever it was he had going on with Sophie was over. I wanted Will to ask me to be his girlfriend and I would've said yes. The truth is, that I like him more than I let on, and no amount of denying it will make those feelings go away.

I thought I'd built up enough courage to tell him, and then his phone started buzzing softly on the cushion next to us and even though I could see her name flash up on the screen, I still asked him who it was.

"No one. It's no one," he said and turned his phone face down.

It was just a reminder that we weren't together and we never had been, probably never would be. Why would Will want to be with someone like me? When he could have someone like Sophie.