Three Little Birds

So, after the doctor's appointment yesterday, I had to go and tell my mum, and all I have to say about that is fucking hell!

She completely lost her shit.

Not even over the fact that I was pregnant, I don't think she minded that — it was more to do with the fact that when she asked me about the father, and I told her that he wasn't going to be involved. She absolutely hit the roof.

"How did this happen?" she asked between sobs as if she didn't know, I mean she'd had three kids of her own. "Who's the father? I didn't even realise you had a boyfriend!"

"It's Will's," Sam piped up from by the kitchen door.

"That bloody moron? I didn't think it was anything serious?"

"It isn't. It wasn't. We just saw each other a few times, but he has a girlfriend now." And it's not me, I wanted to add.

"Does he know? What did he say? Did he actually say that he didn't want to be involved?"

And fuck, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know if I should try and cover up for him, pretend that he doesn't know, that we haven't had the chance to talk things through, you know, just in case he changes his mind. 

Or whether to tell my mum the truth, that I told him and he walked out on me. That he said he needed some time to think things through, but that had been five days ago and I haven't heard a word since. I swear every time my phone goes off I get my hopes up thinking that it's him, but it never is.

Does that mean that he hasn't had enough time to think about everything? Or does it mean that he's thought it through and he knows exactly what he wants and it doesn't involve me or a baby?

"Yes, he knows," I eventually told her.

"He said he doesn't know if he's ready," Sam said, and I cursed him because despite the fact that he'd been out of his head drunk he still remembered more than I thought or hoped he would.

"Is that true Elsie?"

Fuck Sam and his big mouth.

"Yes, it's true," I said and I could feel my bottom lip starting to quiver, I knew I was going to cry.

"It'll be okay," my mum said while putting her arm around my shoulder. "Don't worry, everything is going to be alright. You're not going to have to do it alone, you've got me and your dad. And fuck Will, it's his loss; you'll be okay."

I hoped she was right that everything would be okay. But she was wrong about one thing, it was hardly a loss to Will, he was out there living it up with his new girlfriend.