Super Dad

Will rang me last night acting as if everything was fine when it wasn't

Will rang me last night acting as if everything was fine when it wasn't. It was about as far from fine as it could get. As if it was okay for him to go out with her one night and then call me the next. I only answered because his constant ringing was getting on my nerves.

"What?" I snapped when I answered the phone, hoping that he would understand that I was pissed off and didn't want to speak to him.

"I was gonna see if you wanted to go out and do something tomorrow night," he said without a care in the world.

"No. I'm busy." That wasn't a complete lie, I was going to my parent's house for tea, I wouldn't normally bother, but payday is like four days away.

"Oh, you're in a mood, aren't you? You've been acting really weird lately and I don't know what's wrong with you. I'm not even calling you again, okay? I know where I'm not wanted, and maybe I don't want you either."

That bastard. "Fuck you and fuck off, you fuck," I shouted down the phone to him on the verge of tears. He could get lost, he was right he wasn't wanted at my place and I don't care if he didn't want me; it's not as if it came as a massive surprise, I mean he was the one who'd gone out and got himself a girlfriend.

There's only one man I can depend on and that's my dad. He picked me up at five-thirty and he knew straight away that I'd been crying. "What's the matter?" he asked as we drove towards their house.

And I very nearly told him, I just wanted to tell someone. "Nothing, I'm fine."

"Come on Elsie, I've known you long enough to know that you're upset and you're not fine."

"I'm just tired, you know, like really tired all the time. I just feel like, I don't know what to do."

"Well, if you tell me, maybe we can figure it out together," he said.

I started crying again.

"Look, Elsie, whatever it is it can't be that bad. When you're ready to tell us, we'll figure it out together, all of us - you, me and your mother. Here," he said handing me a tissue.

God, I hope he was right. I hope it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. "Can we not mention this to mum?" I asked before we went into the house, "honestly, it's nothing; it's just work, that's all." I know he didn't believe me, but he agreed not to bring it up in front of my mother.