Chapter 1: Lilly

Sophomore year: day 1. So far everything was going great. My roommate Lucy moved out, which was great because living with her was like living with her and her boyfriend, Rami. They're nice people, but they are both acting students so they're a little snobby and they are annoyingly into each other. They've been dating since 9th grade and they are always all over each other. With Lucy out, it was like I went from having two roommates to having my own room, which was ideal. I think I may be getting a new roommate soon, but I had high hopes that she would easier to live with than Lucy.

Everything else was looking great this year too. I made honors both semesters last year and all my professors loved me. I was a music performance major and I have been told that I am quite talented by my professors and several classmates. I have to agree honestly. Music is in my blood. I was singing before I could talk and I started playing piano as soon as my little fingers could make sense of the keys. I loved music and I could not imagine my life without it, so it was lucky I was actually good at it.

I walked down my dorm room hallway after unpacking most of my stuff to see if my friend Brian was back yet. Brian was a year above me. He was an astrophysics major, an animal lover and he didn't express it much, but he was a great guitar player. The guy was honestly a genius and one of the nicest guys I had ever met. I knocked on his door and he opened it with a big smile on his face.

"Hello Lilly," he said.

"Hey Bri," I said. "I see you're already moved back in. How long have you been here?"

"I arrived pretty early. Gwilym will be here soon. I did not want my stuff all over the place when he got here."

"I'm sure he wouldn't really mind." Gwilym was Brian's roommate and one of his best friends, which makes sense because they were practically the same person. They were both tall, friendly guys who would never hurt a fly. They were good people to be friends with.

"Do you and Gwil have any plans when he gets here?" I asked Brian.

"Yeah, we're going to volunteer at the animal shelter later. You want to come? You can play with all the kittens." I smiled really big.

"Yes, I love kitties!" I exclaimed. Brian chuckled at me.

"I know you do. I figure we can leave-" I stopped Brian when I saw... him. The most beautiful man in this entire university. Roger Taylor. He came up to Brian's open door and knocked on it to get our attention.

"Oh hello Roger," Brian said, greeting him. Roger is in the same year as me. He's pretty popular on campus so everyone basically knows who he is.

"Hey," Roger said. "Do you have a screwdriver I can borrow?"

"You know you're not supposed to put holes in the walls, Rog."

"And you're supposed to mind your own business." Brian rolled his eyes and gave Roger a screwdriver. Roger glanced over at me and I giggled a little.

"H-hey Roger," I said shyly. Roger looked me up and down and bit his lip. He smirked at me and said,

"Hey gorgeous." He left with his screwdriver and I giggled while watching him walk away.

"Jesus Christ, Lilly," Brian said, annoyed.

"What?" I snapped.

"You're an intelligent, confident, 19-year-old woman and yet when you see Taylor you turn into a horny 8th grader."

"I do not!"

"He's not worth your time Lilly. He's a douche and a playboy."

"You don't even know him, Brian!"

"I know he only likes you because you're pretty."

"Whatever! I gotta finish unpacking. Text me later about the animal shelter?" Brian nodded and I started heading back to my room. As I went to leave, I walked into someone I did not recognize. He had medium length black hair, deep brown eyes and a little bit of an overbite.

"Oh I'm sorry darling," he said. He looked up at Brian. "Are you Brian May?"

"That's me," Brian said.

"I just came to return your screwdriver," he said. Brian looked at him confused.

"I lent my screwdriver to Roger," Brian said. "How did you end up with it?"

"Oh right, sorry," he said. "I'm Roger's new roommate. My name's Freddie Bulsara."

I left the room thinking nothing of Freddie. He was cute and he seemed nice, but I doubt I would even see him again. Little did I know, our relationship would become more complicated than either of us could ever imagine.