Step Two: Find An Alien

Start from the beginning

“Even better, you're going to give the new student a tour of the school while I talk to his parents,” Neil grinned enthusiastically. Neil was like me, evil right down to the bone and we knew it. Right on cue the receptionslut came back, grinning her red lipstick lips at Uncle Neil, as she talked to the man and women coming into view. She stepped aside to reveal a short balding man with black rimmed glasses and a woman with once ginger greying frizzy hair, both looking haggard and worn but respectable.

“Tyler, meet Mr and Mrs Euston, and they're son Max,” Neil introduced us, I stood and held my hand out, shaking both the man and the women's hands in turn. They stepped aside to reveal their son and my eyes went wide.

He was handsome, with brown hair and blue eyes, not at all like his parents. He was slightly taller than me, and about my age. But there was something about him... something... familiar.

“Hi,” Max said to me cheerfully, holding out his hand. I took his hand and shook it in a daze.

“Well that's sorted then. Tyler will give Max a tour and Mr and Mrs Euston, if you would like to join me, we can discuss Max's classes,” Neil said cheerfully and led the two adults inside, leaving Max and I standing alone in the hallway as my uncle Neil winked to me and then closed the doors. The receptionslut vanished back to behind her desk, cheeks slightly flushed. Obvious much?

I put my hands in my pockets and looked around, Max was staring at me, smiling. It was kind of creepy.

“Um, so this is the office,” I muttered, “Come on, I'll show you around.” I motioned him to follow with a flick of two fingers, and then I headed towards the back doors of the office that led into the school grounds. Max followed close behind.

The school was creepy after home time, the halls empty and eerie. What was worse was that it was still pouring down with rain outside, and the wind was blowing through the roof, making things creek. I could hear the distant sound of the school cleaner's vacuum humming in a classroom up ahead.

I wouldn't admit it out loud, but I was terrified of the dark, or being alone at night, or in a storm. So right now I wasn't in a good place, I'd kick Neil's butt later.

“So, ah, what subjects do you like?” I asked Max awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck as we walked down one of the school corridors, the rain beating against the windows that ran along the right side. I stopped and looked at the new kid beside me, watching him as he looked around the hallway, taking in everything. He was... weird. And not even my weird, weird weird.

“Subjects?” Max asked, locking eyes with me suddenly and tilting his head slightly to the side with wide eyes and an overly cheerful smile that kept both his lips pressed shut. His gaze sent a chill down my spine.

“Ah yeah, you know like English, Math, Science, Society and Environment, Art, Sport, etc,” I tried as I scratched my thigh through my school pants, his eyes didn't seem to register. I didn't like the way he was staring at me, like I was something to... eat.

I frowned and continued walking, heading around the halls and pointing to the classes for each subject, rubbing my arms so that he hopefully wouldn't notice the goosebumps I was getting.

When I pointed things out, he'd nod and say something like, 'how interesting', but the whole time he continued to stare, not even for a second tearing his eyes away from me. I was surprised he hadn't walked into something yet.

“So this is the guys change rooms,” I noted idly as I pushed open the heavy door and went inside. The room was dark, cold, and empty, and I didn't want to be in here one bit. Marco liked to tease me because I was supposed to be a man, but I was still afraid of the dark. Well screw him, he's afraid of butterflies. No joke, he actually screams if one comes near him. So I think my fear is a little less demeaning.