CHAPTER 52 - BE THE BAD GUY

Start from the beginning

"Sigh, alright, I'll be the bad guy."

......

"I won't introduce myself as I'm sure you all know who I am. I have the pleasure to announce to you that I'm now officially this agency's – whose name has been changed to United Talent Agency – new owner. I will start filming my next movie after the New Year, and as long as you succeed during an audition, you will be given priority to the role. You're all aware that, thanks to Home Alone, the originally nameless Stuart Runkle and Matthew Perry, have now become hot celebrities. Matthew used to only play in supporting roles on TV, but thanks to Home Alone, he was successfully able to make his way to the big screen."

Noticing the faces of the crowd glowing with undisguised joy, Eric thought he had eased them into it enough and changed the subject: "However, I am a capitalist, not a philanthropist. I'll give you the opportunity that you've longed for, but you also need to know to give back. The artists' contracts will be modified, and we will be asking for a 10% commission instead of the previous 6. If anyone finds that difficult to accept, you can choose to leave and terminate your contract."

Eric finished and went back to the office. He believed that even if these people's IQ wasn't in the 99.9th percentile, they would still be able to make a rational decision.

When he entered the room, Jeffrey and Kapoor were discussing the preparations for Pretty Woman.

"Eric, Jeffrey said that you wanted to invite the actress Sophie Marceau, is it still the case ?" Kapoor asked.

Eric nodded: "Yeah. Why, is there a problem ?"

Kapoor said: "If you want to start filming by the New Year, I advise you to go to Europe. Since Jeffrey told me about the fact that you wanted to cast her, I started checking news about her, and she's apparently scheduled to appear in Andrzej Żuławski's new movie. Even if you were to change your schedule by aligning with hers, I doubt that director will let her do it since it'll probably tire the woman out."

Eric recalled that, indeed, according to his memories, Sophie must've just been about to shoot My Night Are More Beautiful Than Your Days.

"Then we will go with Julia Roberts. Right, Kapoor, I hope you can personally become her agent."

Jeffrey advised again: "Eric, you know you can't afford to screw this movie up, many people are waiting for you to make a joke out of yourself, they still...."

"Jeffrey, I know what you're getting at." Eric smiled and said: "You've seen the newspapers, right ? Right now my first two movies are still a hot topic, so even if the new one I shot was poop, we would still be able to earn money. As long as the quality is good, it would be difficult to fail even if we wanted to, so why not make use of this to endorse one of our own actresses ?"

"What if that Julia Roberts' acting is really bad ?"

Eric's lips curved into a smile that was not quite a smile, "Rest assured, I will personally teach her."

......

Just like Eric anticipated, none of the actors chose to leave, instead all readily accepting the new contract terms.

Once he was done with everything, Eric was planning to drive home when Jeffrey got into the passenger's seat: "I sent my car to maintenance, you mind giving me a ride ?"

"No at all."

On the road, Jeffrey asked with concern: "Eric, you and Drew..... in the end, what happened ? I think I saw in the newspaper today that she came to see you yesterday, and that her mother also swung by."

Eric didn't have anything to hide, and earnestly told Jeffrey about everything that had happened yesterday.

"Alright, I admit Drew is a talented actress, but do you have to let her stay at your house ? You don't have any blood relationship with her, coupled with the media and public's speculations, even if Drew's mother doesn't come to find trouble, those associations protecting children's rights will definitely not let you off. Drew's only thirteen after all."

"Don't worry, I know all that, I was planning on sending the lass to a boarding school."

"That's good then." Jeffrey nodded, "Eric, you.... you really don't have any feelings towards that... lolita*, right ?"

Eric unconsciously stepped on the brake pedal, and almost hit the Chevrolet behind him, warranting him the cursing and swearing of the fat guy who was driving it.

Startled, Eric looked at his friend: "Jeffrey, you think Drew resembles a lolita ?"

That girl was obviously a goblin ! Ah, and one with at least five hundred years of practice at that.

"Anyways, you should pay attention to propriety." Jeffrey seemed to have thoroughly labeled Eric as a lolicon.

_ _ _ _

* lolita: a sexually precocious young girl.