275. Request

I walked at a rather slow pace, dragging my feet on the ground as I rounded the corner of the first story of the lecture building as I headed in the direction of the faculty office. The hallway of has cleared up from the initial wave of students that accompanied the bell that signaled the end of the school day, but there were still the occasional students who walked by, returning to their classrooms to retrieve something or for some other purpose like chatting with people they have a crush on. Their matters are of no matter to me.

I kept my eyes on the path before me and soon, I came across the closed door that will lead into the faculty office. I looked up at the door plate, taking in the characters in black ink inscribed on the white background. Slowly, I brought a hand to the door but was reluctant to open it. With a sigh of disappointment in myself for this hesitation, I slid the door open and entered.

"Finally here," Mura greeted me from her desk.

I surveyed the faculty office and saw that none of the other teachers were present. This made it just Mura and myself in this room, but oddly enough, I feel more comfortable this way. I would prefer if no one else hears our conversation.

"Do you know why I called you over today?" she crossed her arms before her chest as she leaned back against the backrest of her chair and crossed her legs.

"Because I'm unsure about my future?" I guessed. I suppose this is the only reason that she would call me over.

"Your partially correct," she said, spinning her chair such that it was facing her desk. She then got up from the chair and grabbed her purse.

"Let's go get something to eat while we talk," she said.

"Is this allowed?" I asked as my eyes followed her while she walked past me. "A teacher going to get food with a student..."

"I guess it won't look good," she paused and thought. "But you're over sixteen, so legally it shouldn't matter. Like we can get married legally."

"I guess...you're right about that," I nodded my head as I recalled the legal age of marriage in Vilheim.

"Besides," her countenance softened and deviated from her usual authoritative teacher look into a more gentle and almost girlish look that one would not expect from a woman like her. "I don't suppose I should care about what other people view me as anymore, especially here."

Her voice was soft, almost inaudible. Yet, I was able to barely perceive it. As I followed her and left campus, I thought back on her facial expression. That countenance, it was one that seemed to be filled with a sense of uncertainty.

Mura and I walked to the nearest train station, but instead entering to board a train, we walked right past the station and continued on down this busy street before the station. This was an area that I am unfamiliar with, as my range of activity typically ended at the train station. I do not have a reason to go down this way, so the scenery that I am seeing are rather alien and unfamiliar.

After walking further down the street and making a turn, we soon came across a small cafe. This cafe appeared to be nothing special as it was simple in its furnishing, not particularly eye-catching. Yet, the simplistic and almost traditional style made it appear even more calming and tranquil.

My eyes naturally wandered to the blackboard stand that was placed by the door, facing the street. On it were words written in chalk, the day's recommended brew I suppose. By the looks of the remnants of chalk on the blackboard, this sign seemed to be updated on a daily basis.

"This is one of my favorite places," Mura explained as we took a seat at a booth by the window. "Not that many people come this way, so it's nice and quiet. The owner's also quite dedicated to this atmosphere."