Eight

"Calum, pick up your damn phone." Luke huffed, dialling Calum's number again as he waited by his car parked out front of Calum's home.

It was on the fourth ring that Calum's phone was finally answered, and Luke couldn't say he was surprised Michael was the one answering it.

"Hello?"

"Where the hell is Calum?" Luke snapped, irritated. "He was supposed to be home an hour ago."

"Wow, he's not wrong. You're like his dad or something." Came Michael's response. "He's with me, chill out."

"Chill out?! He missed an entire day of school-"

"Oh my god Luke, you sound like my dad!" Calum's voice came through the phone.

Luke ran a hand down his face, giving out a heavy breath laden with sadness. "Cal, you promised you'd stay with me today..."

There was a moment of silence before a loud screech of realisation was heard; clatter surrounded the phone until finally Calum was holding his mobile again.

"I am so sorry!" Calum exclaimed. "Okay-Okay, I pinkie promise to make it up to you. Come visit Mikey, I'll send you the address!"

Luke hung up, hurt that he had been so easily tossed aside.
"I know it's only one day a year." He tried to lighten his own mood with a chuckle. "But it is my birthday."

He let the silence encompass him for a moment before he gave a solemn sigh, shoulders slouching.
"I can't believe you forgot..." Luke mumbled, pocketing his phone. "For a druggie, no less."

He slipped into his car, leaving its parked place and driving. It almost felt as though he were driving without a destination.

"Quickly, Luke! Come on!" Liz smiled, beckoning her child. "We'll miss the show!" She squatted slightly, laughing as her young eight year old came running towards her.

She grabbed the smiling child's hand. "Come on, your uncle's band is going to play soon!"

Luke parked his car among a small collection of others lining downtown streets whilst a little known pub bustled with people in the early evening.

He got out, footsteps careful as he walked into the pub. It was the midst of family hours, and upcoming bands were playing live in sessions; singing to the happy crowd of people who came to drink, eat and listen.

"There he is!" Liz pointed her partner's brother out, smiling as the man played guitar in a group of four others.

Luke clapped his hands, squealing as his mother's good friend picked him up onto his shoulders so he could see above the small crowd.

His uncle waved at the small boy who frantically waved back. Ian had always been his favourite uncle, and both he and his mum preferred him over his brother—Luke's actual dad.

"Kid! Hey kid!" Two adults came running towards him only moments before he pushed open the pub doors. "Hey, you're in the Fights aren't ya?"

"Uh... fights?" Luke frowned, annoyed that he was so close to entering the bar and had now been interrupted.

"You know? The ring fights?"

"Uh I'm sorry." Luke shook his head. "I'm heading to the bar."

"Shit." The taller of two men huffed before turning to his friend. "C'mon, let's just watch this time. We'll find a kid to bet on later."

They continued on, jogging as though they were late to get wherever they were headed. Luke watched them with confusion as they turned off between a bakery and an old second hand store; disappearing into the back alley.