Twenty Four

Michael hummed a random tune, careless as he and Luke wandered in the middle of the road in the dead of night; houses sheltering sleeping bodies and hiding people from the rest of the world.

Luke kicked the odd stones he passed, finding peace in the lateness of the dark even though he knew he was definitely not supposed to be content with joining in with whatever bad shit Michael was suggesting.

"Here, take this-" Michael passed him a gun and he awkwardly took it.

"Uh... Why?"

"'Cause no one's gonna take you seriously without it." Michael replied as though it were obvious. 

"Wait, what?" Luke held the gun loosely in his hand as Michael calmly walked closer to a run down looking house with a trash front yard. "What are we doing?" Luke panicked, confused.

Michael firmly gripped a broken piece of an old statue that had once been a beautiful decoration in the demolished front lawn, and with one foul swing he sent it hurdling through the front window of the house. The glass shattered on impact, and Luke winced at the loud howling sound Michael made as though coaxing out the people inside.

"God FUCK!" A harsh growl followed shortly after, the beaten door being pulled open as a young man stepped out.

An automatic rifle sat in their hand, tattoos running along the soft tan of their skin as their fingers curled tightly around the sleek weapon. A thick black strap hung from the gun, almost blending in with the pitch black track pants the man wore with a bright white Adidas logo running down his side. The baggy grey jacket he wore did almost nothing to hide the ink tattooed across his chest, and as he lowered his free hand from where he'd combed it through his hair and rubbed his tired eyes, he shot a glare towards the two teens.

"What the fuck do you want, asshole?" His gruff tone showed he had only just been awoken.

Another male pushed past the first, this one was slightly taller with a softly darker tone that merged beautifully with the endless tattoos inked across his body. An almost matching pair of trackpants lay low on his hips, the rest of him completely bare and eyes hardened with a grouchy mood. Michael had definitely woken the pair up.

Luke took a few instinctive steps backwards when the new male stole the gun and aimed directly at Michael, the older teen didn't care; leaning back against the beaten up car left tyre-less in the middle of the yard.

"Hey." Michael grinned cheekily, to which the first man nudged the gun down.

"You're such a fucking dick, Mike." The first one huffed. "Why you gotta wake us up so damn late?"

"Eh, just 'cause I can." Michael nonchalantly waltzed past the two older men, wandering into their home.

"Oi!" The second man turned around and stormed after him, and Luke could hear the dark haired man yelling at him as they disappeared.

The remaining adult shook his head, and was about to turn and follow the others before his eyes landed on Luke awkwardly standing in the middle of the road.

"You with him?" The man asked, eyeing Luke suspiciously but also somewhat worriedly. 

"Uh... I think so?"

"C'mon, kid." The man yawned, beckoning Luke over. "I'll make hot chocolate or some shit." He started mumbling as he walked back inside. "Kids still drink that shit, right? I dunno."

Luke cautiously followed the three males inside, respectfully shutting the door behind himself before venturing further through the home. It felt small but certainly lived in, there were dull tones and colours splashed across every inch of the home, with odd money coins littered on the carpet and the odd coloured pill that he couldn't even be paid to try.