One

💵💰🚬🔪⛓

💵💰🚬🔪⛓

Most people look at Luke Hemmings and see an utter bitch who's not afraid to put someone in their place. He skips more classes than he bothers smoking cigarettes, and though there's nothing special about his typical band shirt ripped jean outfits he wears you can easily pick his tall blond figure out in a small crowd.

He always has his hair in some quiff, lip pierced with a black lip ring you'd catch him fiddling with whenever he's bored or simply not paying any attention. He can count his real friends on one hand with one finger, with that friend being none other than Calum Hood. It's a strange friendship, but apparently they had grown up together as kids; which made more sense when you realise Calum is a straight A and B kind of student who barely—if ever—breaks the rules.

Calum is almost like Luke's exception to his reputation, the shorter brunet being a smart but caring boy whose brown eyes could melt the coldest of hearts. He usually tries to deter Luke from being an asshole but they both know it'll never actually work.
Most people tend not to mess with Calum, not because they'd get beaten by Luke—which is only slightly true, since Luke tries to avoid actual physical fights—but because Calum's a vicious bitch with his mouth. He'll cut you down with his words and stand there with a stoic expression on his face as he does.

Okay so maybe their friendship is understandable the more you notice their similarities.

"You know what? That made no sense." Luke said, walking beside Calum as they headed for the school gates halfway through the second lesson of the day.

"It made plenty of sense." Calum huffed, arms held tight around some stupid chemistry textbook he was going to return to the school library soon.

"You can talk hydrochloric acid to me as much as you want, Cal. But don't expect me to pay any fucking attention."

"You'd pay attention if I started talking dirty to you." Calum harrumphed, annoyed but not surprised.

"If you started talking dirty to me I'd throw up." Luke casually replied, slipping a cigarette from his pocket.

Calum scowled. "I'm not that ugly."

"Yeah no, you're pretty cute. But you're my best mate, it'd just be weird." Luke lit up his smoke as soon as the two of them lingered by the exit gates of the school grounds.

"You're skipping class again?" Calum frowned.

"No need to state the obvious." Luke let out a breath of smoke.

"Shut up. You're still coming 'round after school right?"

"Yeah yeah, I'll be there."

"Good 'cause like... You're my protection, alright?"

"Jesus, Cal. Whoever the kid is they can't be that bad." Luke scoffed. "It's just a History assignment."

Calum grumbled something under his breath, tucking a strand of brown hair behind his ear as his gaze fell briefly to the ground. With a sigh, he adjusted his grip on his book and looked back up at Luke. "Just don't be late, okay? Or I'll get Mali to cut your dick off."

"Yikes." Luke grimaced at the thought of Calum's older sister.

Mali Koa was horrible person with a kind heart. She loved her family and her friends, but god help anyone she didn't like. She was basically Luke times by a hundred and mixed with a whole plethora of tattoos; some of which were legitimate gang tattoos. The woman wasn't afraid to let people know what types of people she associated with.

"I won't be late, just don't get your sister mad at me."

"Oh no she's still mad at you for leaving me at that party."

"Hey! You told me you left!" Luke gawked, huffing with a glower when Calum snickered.

"See you later, Lu." Calum teasingly waved, turning on his heels and heading for the library where he was supposed to be. Of course he had taken a small detour when he caught his best friend wandering.

"Asshole." Luke grumbled, walking away from the school.

His first lesson teacher must have already suppsed he would be skipping class when he didn't rock up with a backpack, but it really wasn't anything new.

Another detention to add to the list that he would never go to.