Chapter 1 - Cake.

You can play the song above now if you'd like.

____________________________________

It's a nice day in October. Slightly chilly, yet not too cold nor too hot. A nice light coat will do, for us two.

"Mommy lets go!" Liam said excitedly.
Liam is my son, he's four years old.

"Okay bug, lets go." I said as I grabbed onto his little hand and headed outside. We're currently on our way to our favorite coffee shop. He loves the coffee shop purely for the cake and music.

"We're here!" I said excitedly as I turn off the car. I hear him shout in joy.

We open the door to the small coffee shop, soft bells rang. The smell of coffee welcomes you with soft music playing in the background.

"Hey Ashley, Hey Liam!" Mason greeted, he works here.

"Hi Mason!" Liam greeted back. His little hands shot in the air as he ran towards the counter. A soft laugh escapes my lips. I take a look around the coffee shop and see familiar faces and come across a new face. His nose was buried into the book, yet I catch a glimpse of his dangling earring.

"Will you be having the Liam special?" Mason asked. My attention is brought back to Liam and Mason. I haven't had the chocolate cake here but Liam loves this cake.
"Yes!" He jumped excitedly.

"What do you say Liam?" I said softly as I approach the counter.
"Yes please." He pleaded.

"Will you be having the same as usual?" Mason's asked.
"Yes please." I smiled.

"I'll bring it out once it's ready." He said with a smile.

I pay for our things, well for my coffee. Mason said the cake is on the house. Liam decided to sit at the table next to the new person. He picked it purely because it's near the speaker.

I took off his small coat and set it on the back of the chair and I do the same for mine. Liam sits impatiently in his chair as he waits for the cake to arrive.

"Mommy I'm hungry!" He whinnied slightly.
"It's almost ready." I smiled and he sent one back.

I've been told Liam looks a lot like me. He has my small button nose, my soft brown hair, and his small lips, and big eyes. His bright green eyes come from his father.

Liam's father left when he found out I was pregnant. Liam's never met his father, yet he rarely ask where he is.

"Here's one delicious chocolate cake for you handsome." Maddie said cheerfully.
"And here's a nice warm coffee for the lovely mother." She set down my coffee onto the table with a bright smile on her face.

"Enjoy your meal Liam." She said sweetly.
"Thank you Maddie." I said with a smile.

"Cake!" Liam exclaimed. A smile was brought to my face as I watched him danced in his chair. A laugh escapes my lips.

"Thank you mommy." He said before digging in.
"No problem bug." I said with a smile on my face. I love that little boy like he loves his chocolate cake.

As I enjoy my warm coffee and the sight of Liam eating his cake, I glance over to the new face quickly. I only see the side of his face. He has a very sharp jawline and dark brown hair. My attention is brought back to the small lights that are around the coffee shop.

"So the cake is that good?" I heard a voice ask.

My attention turns towards where it came from and I'm faced with the new face, an attractive face. A smile forms on my face.

"I believe it is." I chuckle softly.
"It's delicious!" Liam said as he turned towards the man.

He looks around my age. He has a birthmark or freckle on his chin. He wore a nice long black sleeve sweater with black jeans.

"I'll have to try it some day." He said with a chuckle.

"Here!" Liam said sweetly as he offered the man a piece of cake. My cheeks started to heat up.
"Why thank you." He said as he took the little piece and ate it. Liam watched him excitedly as he waited for a reaction to his favorite cake. The man gave him the exact positive reaction he wanted.

"This is delicious!" The man said excitedly and sweetly. The smile on my face grew as I watched this interaction.

I think men who are great with kids are very attractive. It just warms my heart.

Liam laughed as he watched the man reacted.

"My mommy doesn't like cake." Liam said with a slight frown. The mans attention turned towards me as he smiled and his attention went back to Liam.
"What? That's crazy! Maybe this cake will change her mind." He said.

"Mommy try it!" Liam said as he gave me his fork with a piece of cake on it. I'm truly not a big fan of cake but I'll do anything that will make my child happy.

I take the fork and eat the little piece. I hummed slightly and smiled.
"Delicious!" I said.

Liam laughed and so did the man.
"Yay!" Liam cheered happily.

The cake is actually good. It's nice and soft, not too chocolatey.

"I'm Grayson." The man extended his hand towards me.
"I'm Ashley." I greeted sweetly as I took ahold of his hand and shook it.

His hands are nicely soft. His smile is contagious. I got a better view of his face. He has a small beard going on.

"Do you want to sit with me?" Liam asked innocently as he continued to eat his cake.
"Sure." Grayson said as he smiled and took ahold of his book then sat in the third seat.

"Are you new to the city?" I asked politely.
"Yeah, My brother and I just moved here last week." He said as his attention is on me now.

"Well, welcome to Chicago." I said happily.
"Thank you, it's beautiful here." He said with a smile on his face. We continued to talk about Chicago and his move here. Liam also had his time to talk to Grayson, he went on about toys, school, and music.

"Alrighty Liam we better start heading out. We promised aunt Julie we'd go down and visit." I said as I cleaned up our mess.
"Aw, but I want to stay and talk to Grayson." He whinnied.

"How about this, We can meet here again on Friday and have some cake." Grayson offered as he looked at Liam. Liam's disappointment wiped away quickly and replaced with joy. I smiled due to Liam's excitement level skyrocketed.

"If that's okay with mommy." He said as he looked over at me.

"Mommy please!" Liam begged.
"Sounds great to me." I said as I got up.
The two smiled and high five each other.

As the three of us got ready to leave Grayson asked for my number and I gave it to him. He seemed like a nice guy, clearly Liam loved him.

As we got into the car and settled in, Liam was dozing off to sleep slowly.

"Mommy I like Grayson." He said sleepily.

A smile formed on my face as I saw him doze off to sleep through the rear view mirror.