TGWDLM-Can't Beat Them, Join Them

[A/N indulgent self-insert mini-fic where I make the character that's me really powerful to show off ;P enjoy my current Starkid favorite and if you haven't watched Starkid you should. This is stupid, but have it anyway]

"This day literally couldn't get worse." Jenni slammed the door to the building closed, leaning her whole body weight against it immediately while her friends dragged a dresser out of the first room to their left.

"I disagree, but sure." Eli grunted, gritting his teeth and planting his feet. Jenni darted out of the way and he shoved the dresser the rest of the way forward, slamming it against the door. Both he and Dahlia were breathing hard.

"I'm checking the back door," Jenni announced, grabbing the baseball bat she'd just set down. "I'd suggest you start barricading the windows and I'll help once I'm done with that."

She heard her two friends quietly talking as she walked away, but ignored them. She knew what they were talking about anyway.

Swinging the baseball bat absentmindedly, Jenni went to the kitchen to check the back. She shoved the kitchen table against the door and tipped it over so it was wedged under the handle.

There were no windows in the kitchen, which was good. Jenni worked her way back to the front foyer, pushing furniture in front of openings whenever she could and making mental notes to get Eli and Dahlia's help with others.

------------

"So now what?"

Jenni looked up at Dahlia. "What do you mean?"

"Well we can't stay here forever," Dahlia said, leaning back in her chair. "We've only got so much food, and those things are going to get in here eventually."

Eli grunted in agreement. "I really don't feel like being a fish trapped in a barrel for these things."

"Spacious barrel." Jenni grunted. The house they'd picked was a three story with a pretty big floor-plan. Eli glared at her.

"Look, we either we run out of food or they break in. We wait until one or the other happens, then we try to fight our way out. If we get to the harbor we can steal one of the littler boats and sail off, maybe reach Clivesdale."

"Or we die." Dahlia poked at her dinner.

"Well that's how it works, Dahl."

Dahlia glared at her. "Jen, we need to figure out what to do! We've got a quarter of a plan that will probably kill us and nothing else!"

"We should have followed Emma," Eli grumbled.

"Enough about that!" Jenni slammed a hand down on the table. "Emma has even less of a plan than we do, I guarantee it. She's going to Professor Hidgens, and everyone knows he's got a weird thing for aliens, so he's gonna eventually turn on them."

"What do you have against Emma anyway?" Eli sat up.

Jenni stood up, shoving her chair away. "Nothing."

Dahlia snorted loudly.

"Jen c'mon. You haven't talked to her in like, seven years."

"I don't want to talk to her." Jenni picked up her plate and went to wash it off.

"Why not?"

"Because- because she gets everything I want and she has the audacity to complain about it! She whines at that coffee shop like it's not the best job ever and she's talented and I just- ugh!"

She stormed out of the room and up the stairs.

The second floor had a library, and Jenni wandered through it, staring at the book spines without really reading them. Eventually she walked to a window and looked out.