MyUniverse-Feline Friend

Derrick POV

"Hey, babe." I kissed Emma on the head as I walked past her in the kitchen.

Instead of turning and grabbing my shirt, like she usually did, she grunted and continued to glare at the counter.

"Uh oh. What's wrong?" I opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice.

"Were you going to tell me?"

I frowned. "What are we talking about?"

Emma turned to face me. "Your special power."

"Sorry, what?"

She stood, crossing her arms and flicking her blond curls over her shoulder with a tip of her head. "I was talking to Maddy."

That set off warning bells. Maddy couldn't keep her mouth shut, ever. She was the reason Emma even knew what she did.

"Uh, what did she say?" I asked hesitantly, pouring my juice and setting the carton back down.

"She told me about your special little power. You know, the doubles concept or whatever she called it."

Oh no.

Not this, anything but this!

"Emma..." I started awkwardly, stepping forward.

"She said she thought I was going to get it." Emma tipped her head sideways. "Is that true?"

Silently I cursed Maddy. Why couldn't that girl just keep her mouth shut?!

"Uh, Emma, listen..."

"You weren't going to use it on me! How could you be so cruel like that?" Emma exclaimed. "You don't want me with you forever?"

"No, it's not that, it's-"

"Maybe you like getting a new lover every thirty years or so? Is that it? You like being a player?"

"No! Emma, just listen-"

"Absolutely not! The only two important things I've ever learned about you have been from someone else!" She snapped.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"Emma, please, let me get a word in! It has nothing to do with how much I love you, I promise!"

She scowled, turning away. "Then what is it, Derrick? It's unacceptable?"

"No." I grunted. "I can only use it once."

"And you're saving it for someone 'more important' than me?" Emma's fingers flicked in sarcastic air quotes.

"No! Good Lord, woman, would you stop jumping to conclusions?!"

"I wouldn't have to if you just told me in the first place!" Emma stomped out of the kitchen and I heard the door to my office slam. The audible click of a lock being thrown followed and I sighed.

The phone rang next to my hand, making me jump.

Caller ID told me it was Maddy.

"What?" I asked, rather rudely.

"Oi, what's got your panties in a bunch?" Maddy asked in concern.

"Emma's mad at me."

"Ooh, what'd you do?"

"It's not what I did, it's what you did."

I could practically see her confused face as she responded, "Wait, what did I do?"

"Well someone let it slip that I can keep someone with me. Three guesses as to who that is."

"Wait, I thought you said I did something."

I waited for her to connect the dots.

"Oooooooh! Oops." Maddy said.

"That's all you have to say?!" I almost screamed. "You told her I was going to use it for her!"

"Well you are, aren't you?"

"Maddy! I've already used it!"

Again I could picture her furrowed brows, "You did?"

"Maddy, you're my sister and I love you, but you are the dumbest person I have ever met in my entire life. And that's a long time."

"Hey! Don't make me tell Mom you said that."

I rolled my eyes. "She'd agree with me, Mads. Now, stop telling my girlfriends things that aren't true."

"Fine, fine. But who'd you use it on?"

"My roommate, remember?"

"Ooooooh!"

"Goodbye, Maddy."

"Bye, big brother!"

I hung up the phone and leaned on the counter with a frustrated sigh.

Banging slowly caught my attention, echoing from my office.

Where Emma was.

Crap.

I trudged down the hallway and knocked on the door. "Emma?"

"Go away!" There was a crash inside.

"Are you breaking my stuff?"

"I said go away, Derrick!"

"It's my house." I retorted, trying the door handle. It wouldn't budge. With a sigh, I reached above and grabbed the key that I kept on top of the doorframe.

"Emma, cut it out!" Unlocking the door, I threw it open and sighed again at the mess. She had thrown my things off my shelves and knocked the wire paper holder that had been on my desk onto the floor.

"Emma calm down!" I yelled.

She whirled to glare at me. "Tell me why you didn't say anything?"

I took a deep breath. "Because it doesn't matter. I used it years ago."

"Oh..." Emma bit her lip. "Why?"

"I was at a bit of a low point, I wanted some company."

She narrowed her eyes. "And who did you use it on?"

"You're either going to be really offended or really amused." I informed her.

"Just tell me."

I opened my mouth, then heard a door creak behind me. "Well, here she comes now."

Lina padded down the hallway, stopping next to me and surveying the destroyed room with her amber eyes.

"Seriously?" Emma raised an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked defensively.

"You used your power to make another person immortal with you...on a cat?"

[A/N I forgot to say this before, but 'MyUniverse' means they are my original characters that have not been put into any premade story or franchise]