Lukeanne+Callan-Final Breath

Leanne POV

I was close.

The trail was old, but it was getting fresher. I was overtaking the hostages.

In the tracks, I could see one distinctive set of footprints.

Those were the prints I was after.

"Get off her!" A voice screamed up ahead.

It was accompanied by a terrified girl's shriek.

I abandoned the trail and broke into a sprint.

"I said get off her! Let her go!"

"Lorena, don't!" A man's voice added to the screaming.

I burst into the clearing, practically running over a man in black.

Large cages dotted the clearing, people in each one. One of the cages off to the side was open and a girl inside was being held back by the man with her while a small child was pulled from the cage.

"Hey!" I barked.

All movement in the clearing ceased.

"Drop the girl." I snapped.

"And what are you going to do if I don't?" He sneered back.

I held my hand up, forming a ball of energy in my palm. "Want to know what this does? Or should I just throw it and let you feel it?"

The man slowly put the girl down. Then he put his fingers to his lips and let out a piercing whistle.

I snarled and threw the ball of energy. When it connected the man started to twitch, dropping to the ground.

The other guards started towards me and I formed another ball to throw. The girl who had was being held back in the cage leapt forward, pulling a dagger. The man who had been with her ran to the small child.

"LeLe!" A voice off to the side caught my attention.

"Luke!" I turned to see him working his magic on the lock of his cage. He was on his own, a good call on the part of the guards.

Metal clanked as he shoved open the door and limped out of the cell. His hands were already forming golden spheres of energy, similar to mine.

"Let's move!" I shouted to him, fighting through the black clad men around me.

Luke and I worked our way around the clearing, freeing people and covering them until they reached the trees.

"Darling?" A new voice called. I scowled as I recognized it.

"Callan." I turned to face the man. His red hair was practically a beacon in the group surrounding him, dressed in all black. He was completely dressed in black as well.

"Hello, dear."

"I've told you hundreds of times, don't call me that."

"Ah but I'll never listen." He gestured around the clearing. "Like it?"

"Your evil, manipulative scheme? No, I really don't."

He shrugged. "You never do, do you?"

"I can see why." Luke had come up, albeit slowly with his limp.

"Oh, the cripple's here too."

"I'm not a cripple!" Luke snapped.

"You're limping."

"But I can walk."

"Enough!" I snapped. "Callan, what are you playing at?"

"This was a simple ruse. I just wanted you two here." Callan turned to his men. "Attack."

The men rushed forward and Luke and I soon found ourselves separated.

"LeLe, look out!" He shouted suddenly. 

I whirled and was just in time to see a red ball headed for me.

The next thing to happen shattered me completely.

Luke sent a ball of gold at Callan and jerked his left hand violently towards himself.

The red ball changed direction and slammed into his chest.

"NO!" He and Callan collapsed.

I rushed forward, blasting black clad men left and right to get to Luke.

"Please please please, you can't leave me!" I cried as I dropped to the ground next to him.

Luke coughed weakly. "I couldn't let him get you." 

"You stupid, stupid boy!" I slid my hand under his head, into his dark blond curls. My other hand, on his heart, could already feel it's beat slowing. I unbuttoned his shirt and stared at the angry red veins that ran across his chest, inching towards his lungs and heart.

"LeLe." Luke said quietly.

I swiped furiously at my tears and leaned forward, kissing him hard. 

"Finish him off." Luke whispered when I pulled away.

"I will. I love you."

"I-" Luke broke into a wheezing fit of coughing. 

"I know." I told him. He nodded and I watched the light leave his bright blue-green eyes.

A weak groan pulled me out of my stupor.

"Did your little boyfriend think that would really hurt me?" Callan asked weakly as he got to his feet slowly.

"Oh no. He was just slowing you down." I stood and faced the man who killed my best friend. "I'm going to finish you."

Callan started to laugh, but I lunged forward and punched him across the face.

No magic.

No tricks.

Just a good solid punch to the jaw.

The redhead staggered, his brown eyes watering from the pain of the hit. I formed a blue ball in my hand, noticing it had hints of gold in it now, and slammed it into his chest, right above his heart.

"And how does that feel?" I snarled.

Callan dropped again, scrabbling at his chest. I stomped down forcefully on his stomach and he wheezed, his motions becoming feeble.

"Goodbye, Callan Davis."