Percabeth-Marriage Part 3

Third Person POV

"Annabeth darling, did you speak with the councilmen of the city with the water problem?" Percy flicked through the parchment stacked high on his desk.

"I did not. They kept insisting that they do not deal with women, since a woman's job is supposedly the house, not the business." Annabeth responded, rocking back and forth with a baby in her arms.

"They should know that being the queen means those things are one and the same." Percy muttered, scribbling something down.

"What are you working on?" Annabeth asked.

"A surprise." He responded with a smile.

"This won't be like your last surprise, will it?"

"Hey, I tried with that one! The only fault was that the man in charge of one of the more important parts became violently ill!"

Annabeth laughed. "I know."

The baby in her arms woke, letting out an ear-splitting shriek.

"Oh come now, sweetie, it's okay." Annabeth bounced her lightly up and down, shushing softly.

"She won't go back to sleep." She finally said.

"Bring her here." Percy flipped the sheathe of parchment he was working on over so Annabeth could not see the front, then held his arms out for his daughter.

Annabeth laid the screaming child gently in her husband's arms and walked around his desk, sitting on it next to his chair.

Percy rocked Savannah back and forth, slowly crooning a soft lullaby tune. The little girl's pudgy fists, which had been waving in the air, slowly tucked into her blankets, one thumb stuck firmly in her mouth.

Annabeth smoothed the shock of soft black hair back as her daughter's grey eyes closed.

"You're so good at getting her to sleep." She finally said when Percy had taken Savannah to her room and put her in her little crib.

"My father always said I was half Siren." He smiled at her.

"What song were you singing?" Annabeth asked.

"It's a song my father used to sing me. Would you like to hear it?"

"I would."

Percy took Annabeth's hands, pulling her close. He began to sing and they slowly danced around the room.

"A starry night, a lovely bed,

Just close your eyes, and rest your head,

The world will be still, and we will be filled,

With love and light.

The sky is dark, stars twinkle bright,

I hear a lark, out in the night,

Just you and me now, hearing the night sounds,

Above our heads.

We could do anything now,

Fly and soar, be so much more,

I think that we should stay how,

We've been since the sun lowered down it's sleepy head.

The night is soft, the darkness sweet,

Our minds in dreams, will surely meet,

So close your eyes and, just grab my open hand,

We'll see the night, in dreams again."

They finished with their foreheads touching lightly, the silence of the room stretching out around them.

"I think it's a beautiful song." Annabeth said.

"I always did too." Percy detached himself from her and returned to his desk. "We need to figure out how to help these villages having the food shortages...any ideas?"

Annabeth thought for a moment. "Are there any cities with over-abundances of food?"

"One or two." Percy flipped through the records. "What are you suggesting?"

"The villages with too much food can give some to the villages without enough. Any more that needs to be provided, we can give from our stores, gods know we have enough food."

Percy smiled up at her. "I knew there was a reason I loved you. My wife is the smartest person I know."

"I thought you loved me because I'm dangerous." Annabeth replied.

"Well that too, Darling. Speaking of, were you planning to go threaten the life of the man who wouldn't speak with you?"

Annabeth shrugged. "I was considering it."

Percy nodded. "Good, he needs to be taken down a peg or two anyway. Hasn't been paying his taxes, says he doesn't have to."

Annabeth sighed. "They think because you're such a nice man that they can get away with things like that. You may need to set a public example."

Percy leaned forward and rubbed his forehead. "I'd prefer not to."

"I know. But that is the cost of being King. Sometimes you have to be the 'Bad Guy' in the locals' eyes." Annabeth smiled at him.

"I wish my father were still here."

"Oh, your father would be so proud of you if he could see you today, I know it." Annabeth pulled Percy out of his chair and kissed him lightly. "You're one of the fairest kings ever and our force is formidable."

He smiled and pulled her in for another kiss. "Must be because I have such a great queen."