(The Originals) Imagine being Elijah's Long Lost Love PT. 1

~~This is a one-shot I came up with! Oh yeah, by the way, hello! Long time no see. Hopefully will be seeing you all more soon. I always said that, but fanfic is one of those things you kind of always return to if you are a true fangirl at heart, you know? Hope you all are well. Anyways, Imagine you are a Viking, and your family temporarily moves to a village that will be Mystic Falls...~~ 

You were a viking. It was all you had ever known, the ships, the fighting, the conquest, all of it... But that all changed when you came to the new continent, your father deciding to travel further inland than usual. After some time, you all found an established viking settlement. 

What would, in time, become the place known as Mystic Falls. At once, your family seemed to fit in. There seemed to be a special magic in the area, and you in particular seemed connected with it. The air seemed to buzz with life itself, vibrating your very soul. 

There were two witches in the area that took interest in you, Ayanna and Esther, because of your natural talents. Although you were by no means exceptional in them, you could be become better in time, or so they said. 

But your father  had no interest in letting you do such a thing. Your family was going to be moving on, and you, at not quite 18 summers and unwed, had no choice in the matter. You could not stay, not without being married, it was not the viking way. And so, with your hopes dashed, you refused the witches' offers of teaching you their ways. But, while the rejection of the opportunity to learn such a skill was disappointing, what broke your heart more in regards to not staying was the idea of leaving someone in particular. 

A boy named Elijah. 

With his medium-length brown hair and warm brown eyes, he captured your heart with ease. Which was why the offer to train under Esther was even more tempting, because Elijah was her son. Being near him as well as learning magic seemed such a wonderful opportunity. It was strange, you had never felt this way before about anyone. and yet, you did with him. But there were issues you could not go without noticing. 

For one, his interests were already pulled elsewhere, in a fight with his brother Klaus to win the heart of another maiden in the camp named Tatia. She was so beautiful, with her dark, curly brown hair and petite face. She flirted with both Elijah and Klaus seamlessly, and her laugh was like poetry. She could dance with the grace of swans, and every man in the village admired her, but she only encouraged the fancies of the two brothers. 

And yet, there was a certain way that Elijah addressed you that made you wonder... Kept you hoping. Something in the way his brown eye flashed you a glance when you passed each other, how he said hello to you whenever was appropriate, and always seemed to show up, even if it was just for a minute, during your trainings with his mother, giving some excuse of needing to enter his mother's work hut. But you were leaving, and Tatia would win. You knew it, she knew it, everyone knew it. 

And so, you began to avoid him. You ended the training sessions with his mother early on the excuse you would be leaving soon. You stayed in your hut whenever you could. It was just too much to bear, knowing you would have to say goodbye in just 5 days time. You would not spend the rest of your days there pouting as you saw Elijah and Tatia together. No, you would just be content to pout alone in your hut. Or as alone as you could be, with your family staying in the same edifice as well. 

When it was just 3 days until your planned departure, the moon rose full. And tragedy struck. 

Your father had seen Klaus and young Henrik sneaking off into the woods towards the wolves' territory. He charged after them, determined to bring them back for proper punishment at such foolish action. But his plans went awry.