39) Dragon

Three years. It had been three years since the announcement that changed little Prince Patton Cloud's life forever. And still longer, it had changed for the better. Or was it the worse? He didnt know. Patton stared up at the regal oil painting on the wall as his mind drifted off.

Five years ago, Prince Patton Cloud of the kingdom of Midra giggled happily as he ran through the gardens. Patton was  playing a game of hide-and-seek with the visiting prince, Virgil Storm of Adrit. He ducked into a set of bushes and peered through the leaves, watching Virgil pass by.

"Pat! Where are you? Come on out!" Virgil called, laughing. Patton giggled and stayed put. Minutes later, he burst from the bushes and jumped onto Virgil's back.

"Here I am!"

"Paaat! Get off me!"

"No!" Patton said, smiling. Virgil laughed, and the boys were called in to dine. The rest of the visit filled Patton with happiness, and he could not wait to see Virgil again. Over the next two years, Virgil and Patton made excuses to visit each other until the day Patton sought out Virgil's father, King Henry Storm.

"Sir? May I have a word?" Patton asked shyly.

"Certainly, my boy."

"I... I want to ask Virgil to marry me and was wondering if I had your blessing?"

The king smiled. "Of course you do." Virgil's sister, Aria, was listening in from the corridor. She bustled in importantly.

"This simply will not do, father. Prince Cloud is incapable of bearing children with Virgil."

"Now, Aria, you silly girl. You do not have a right to the throne nor do you have a say in my decision. Please leave," King Henry said. Aria huffed and left.

"Thank you, sir." Patton bowed.

"Go get him." Patton nodded and found Virgil.

"Virge? I had a question for you."

"Go for it, Pat. You know you can ask me anything."

Patton bit his lip and got down on one knee. "Will you marry me?" Virgil stared at him.

"Why should I?"

Patton's smile fell. Virgil smirked.

"Cant even think of one reason? Not even one? Guess I'll have to." Upon seeing Patton's confused expression, Virgil added, "Im saying yes, Pat. I love you. Of course, Im saying yes."

Patton smiled and hugged him. "I love you, too!"

It had been one week. One week until the big day. Just one. Virgil had been persuaded by Aria to join her on a dragon hunt. Patton kissed him goodbye and planned decorations with his oldest brother, Roman. Virgil followed the group into the magic forest. And then it happened. He got lost. He got cornered by the beast. The beast ripped him to shreds. Patton felt so angry that the monster that killed his loved so long ago had gotten away. He broke down in tears again in front of the painting, just like he had when he first recieved the news. The news that changed his life.

Virgil scratched another line into the cave wall. He looked down the wall at the countless marks he'd made over the years. He sunk to the ground and held his head in his hands, hot tears sliding down his cheeks. Three years. Three long, lonely years. He doubted Patton knew the truth. He longed to tell him the truth. He hadnt gotten lost or cornered. The only beast was his own sister.

Aria had led Virgil away from the rest of the hunting party. She smiled bitterly.

"I've been waiting for this. Waiting for so long." Virgil stared at her in confusion.

"Aria? Are you feeling okay?"

"Im better than okay, brother dearest! Today is the day I take back the throne that is rightfully mine! Mine!"

"Aria?"

"Shut up! I get the throne. I get the cute little prince. You will get loneliness and pain. A dragon! Yes, a dragon!"

"Aria!" Virgil was panicking now, trying to calm her down.

"No!" She started her spell. Red glowed around her fingertips, and Virgil's eyes widened.

"No! Aria, please! You can have the throne! Just let me be with Patton!"

"Never!" She laughed wickedly as the crimson bolt struck Virgil. Moments later, Virgil was gone, replaced by a shimmering purple dragon. Guards arrived at the area, seconds too late. All they saw was the prince's torn clothes... and a dragon. Virgil took off, seeking solace in a cave in the mountains, counting the days gone by... alone. The worst part was that he became human again in the shadows. If Patton would only find him like this... but... he had heard the bells.

Patton felt himself being pulled to his feet. He stared into the eyes of his wife.

"How dare you disobey me and mourn him?!"

Patton looked down. "I..."

"Be quiet. Go back to our rooms and stay there. Now!" Patton quickly obeyed. He fell to the sheets. It had only been a three days after the news. Aria had come to Patton and told him her brother's dying wish. A wish Patton eagerly waited to hear so he could fulfill it for Virgil. The wish... to marry Aria if anything happened to Virgil. Patton obliged in the memory of his lost love. It wasnt a happy marriage. Never even came close. Aria controlled him; Patton would admit it. He was too afraid to disobey.

Virgil growled when he had first heard the bells. It was supposed to be his wedding day. He knew his sister had preyed on his love's broken heart and tricked him. Even three years later, it hurt Virgil to imagine what Patton was going through. Virgil clawed the wall savagely. He had to get to Patton.

Tap. Just one tap on Patton's window changed everything. He bolted upright and glanced at the window. Quietly, he rose and opened the window. "Hello?"

"Patton?" Patton inhaled sharply.

"V-virgil? Is it really you?"

Virgil nodded and smiled. "Ive finally come back to you. I know you married my sister. It hurts me so much to remember those bells... Im so sorry it took me so long."

"But... you... you died. You were torn to shreds by a dragon."

"Is that what she told you?! Patton, no, I wasnt. She changed me into the dragon. I was the dragon."

"How are you here? I missed you so much!"

"I know... it took so long to find the plants..." Virgil looked down as he spoke. Patton pulled him in the window and kissed him. Virgil kissed him back. A servant walked in on them. "My prin- Prince Virgil?! You are alive?!"

"Is my father here?"

"Yes, he is, Your Highness." The servant bowed. "Shall I fetch him?"

"Yes. Quickly." It only took minutes. Henry hugged his son tightly and ordered Aria's arrest. Patton's marriage to her was anulled, and he married Virgil, like he always should have, one week later.