Monster

While Akari spoke with Duke Obara and Duchess Riho, Dean took Duke Jona and Duchess Emi to his home.  Dean made sure both of his in-laws were properly settled in before leaving to meet up with Akari. When he entered the Noboru home, he could hear Riho and Obara argue.  

“I’m not leaving!”  Riho said sternly as she refused Obara’s opinion.  “I’m not leaving… ever… so don’t even think about trying to persuade me to go!”  

“Riho.”  Obara said softly as if his heart was breaking in two.  

“No, means NO!  I refuse to hide while you and Rin are in danger!  I am his mother! I am your wife! I tied myself to you when I married you and I tied myself to Rin when I gave birth to him!  Wherever the two of you are, that is where I belong!” Riho told Obara.

Obara sighed loudly and turned away from Riho.  He wanted her to be protected and safe until everything is over.  He wanted to protect and save Rin as well, however he felt so helpless.  So useless. There was nothing he could do or say to protect and save anyone he loves.  They could only weather the storm together, even if it meant their deaths.

“Very well.”  Obara defeatedly said softly.  “Whatever you think is best.”

Riho hugged Obara from behind and immediately Obara holds her hands that wrapped around his waist.  

“Together.  We do this together.”  Riho muffly said as she buried her face in his large back.  

Akari got up and left the two to be alone.  Her hand reached out to hold Dean’s hand as they made their way towards Rin’s room.  Akari entered Rin’s room without knocking and what she saw caught her by surprise.  

The nurse that Obara and Riho hired to take care of Rin was in the process of holding a pillow on top of Rin’s face, suffocating him.  With a flick of Akari’s wrist, a water whip formed and hit its mark. The nurse cried out with surprise as pain erupted throughout her body.  The back of her dress along with her skin tore open once the whip landed on her back.

“Ahhhhhh!”  The nurse cried out as blood flowed quickly out from the wound.  “Ahhhhhh!”

The nurse screamed as Akari whipped her again.   The nurse could only roll off Rin slowly as the whip drove her into the corner of the room.  Each lash opening up a new wound on her body.

Dean quickly made his way over to Rin to check on his pulse.  Although Rin’s breath and pulse was very faint, he wasn’t dead yet.  Dean checked Rin’s body to ensure nothing else was hurt, while he was doing this Obara and Riho along with several guards and servants finally arrived.  

“What happened, Mage Koya?”  Obara said as he looked between Akari and Dean.  

“Tell me.”  Akari shouted as she kept whipping the nurse.  “Who hired you to kill Rin!”

Riho gasped loudly as she felt her whole body become weak.  Her maids who stood behind her help hold her up as they watched Akari’s ruthless beating.  

“Ahhhh!  Please stop!”  The nurse shouted as tears fell down her face.  Blood stained her dress and the wooden floor as Akari’s whip kept falling down on her.  

“Tell me.”  Akari ordered again.  “Who hired you to kill Rin.”  

The nurse kept shaking her head no.  She couldn’t tell them. If she did, her family would be killed.   

“Don’t want to tell us?”  Akari asked as she added her lightning element along with the whip.  “That’s fine. I’ll make you wish you were dead.”

Once the lightning and water whip landed on her her whole body shook with pain.  She felt numb for a moment before feeling the pain that was worse than she ever felt before.  

She lost consciousness and was suddenly brought back when she felt a jolt go through her.   

“Ahhhhh!”  She screamed.  “Just kill me. I already failed.”   

“Do you think I’ll give you your death so easily?”  Akari asked as she whipped the nurse one more time. “Tell me who hired you.”

“Please!  I can’t say.”   The nurse cried.  “They’ll kill my family.”  

“Because you failed, they would have already killed your family.  Do you think those that hired you would leave witnesses behind?!? Do you think that they would just let your family go, if you did what they ordered you to do?  I’m pretty sure your family is already dead by their hands.”

“No!  They wouldn't kill my family…. they promised.”  

“Ha!  Don’t be so ridiculously naive.  Your life, just like the lives of your family are a means to an end for those who ordered you to kill Rin.”  Akari told her. “I can give you the death you desire. Give me the names of the people who ordered you to do this and I’ll give you a quick and painless death.  Refuse and I’ll ensure your torture can last a lifetime.”

The nurse bent her head down thinking about her choices.  Somehow, she knew, her family was dead. The moment she failed, they were dead.  If she succeeded, there was also a chance of them killing her to silence her. She was trapped.  There was nowhere for her to go.

“I’m not sure of the name of the woman who told me to kill Young Master Rin.  However, on my way out of their hideout, when they covered my eyes with a scarf, I could slightly see my surroundings.  When I was leaving, there was a commotion. A man brought in a woman. She was badly hurt. Since I haven’t left yet, they ordered me to help take care of the young lady until a doctor could be arranged to see her.  When they took off my blindfold, I had a glimpse of the woman who was injured.”

“Do you know who she is?”

“No.”  

“What does she look like?”  

“She was very pale.  As if she had not seen the sunlight in several days.  She was skin and bones, as if she had not been properly fed.  She had white hair and grey eyes. When I examined her, I found out that she was tortured and raped. Repeatedly.  I did the best I could, with the little time I had and the tools that were there. Soon an elderly Doctor came in and he was escorted by a man and a woman.”  

“What did the woman and man look like?”  

“The woman wore a veiled attached to a hat.  While the man had brown hair and brown eyes. I was quickly blindfolded and escorted out of the room.  When I was being lead out of the room, I heard the man say, ‘Kiko’.”

“You have any last words?”  

“If… by chance… my family is alive… I know it’s a lot for me to ask… but.. could you spare their lives?  And I’m sorr---”

The nurse did not have a chance to finish what she wanted to say.  Akari already stabbed her in the heart with a dagger made out of her water element.  

Behind her, the whole crowd of people who watched her torture and kill a woman all took a step back in fear as if they just saw a monster.