Making Moves

A/N: THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR PATIENCE.  TODAY WILL BE A WRITING DAY AND I WILL BE POSTING THROUGH OUT THE DAY.  XOXO -ptd

“I was thinking about something.”  Akari whispered to Dean in the early morning after their passion filled night.  Her eyelids were softly fluttering as if she was forcing herself to stay away to speak to him.

“What?”  Dean asked as he held Akari closer to him.  It was as if he wanted to feel every inch of her on him.  His hands softly caressed her back and legs as if he couldn't stop touching her.

“If I kept on being reincarnated for 99 lifetimes, always repeating my first 20 years of life. Does that mean that everyone’s lives repeated 20 years of their life as well?” Akari asked Dean.  “So the past 20 years of your life was repeated 99 times because I kept failing?”

Dean was silent for a long time thinking about her words.  If that did happen, he felt that the Gods played around with their lives too recklessly.

“I don’t know.”  Dean told her softly as he saw her eyes closing.  “Maybe. If it is true, those 1,980 years were a waste, until I met you.”

Silence answered him back as Akari fell into a deep sleep.  Dean held onto her tighter as if he was afraid she would one day disappear and would have to relive her life from the beginning.  And if she did, would he be fortunate enough to meet her again? Would she want to tie herself to him again? Would he remember her and ensure that their fates were tied together?

With a worried heart, Dean watched the sun rise with the soft and even sound of Akari’s breathing.  Whatever the future may unfold, he knew, deep down, that he would do anything for Akari’s happiness.

Akari woke up later that afternoon.  Dean’s side of the bed was cold, so she quickly got herself ready for the day.  After a quick shower and throwing on her training clothes, she left her room and made her way downstairs.   

After greeting her parents and Dean, she grabbed herself a plate of food before joining them in the receiving room.  
“I think I know who is behind Kiko.”  Akari said as she quickly ate her food.  

“Who?”  Jona asked as he set the newspaper he was reading down.  

“The Crown Prince and the Queen.”  Akari told them.

“Why do you think that it is them?” Emi quickly said as she closed the door to the receiving room to ensure that no one heard of their conversation.  She couldn’t trust anyone except her family.

Akari looked at Dean and from her look, Dean could understand that Akari might of gotten her answer from her past memories.  

“I don’t have physical proof, that it is the Crown Prince and the Queen.  However, with the small amount of proof that we do have, I have a hunch that it is them.”  Akari said as she set her plate down on the table before grabbing her tea and drinking it.

“Akari… we can’t begin pointing fingers just because of a hunch.”  Jona said.

“I know.”  Akari told him.  “Just think about what we do know.  The mastermind behind all of this is powerful enough to hide their every move... even from the King.  From becoming allies with a mage, to raising a secret army in the city, to infiltrating royal and noble families without even anyone knowing.  This mastermind is someone from the royal family that disregards friendship and family to get what they want.”

The whole room was quiet as Akari spoke.  Their hearts became heavy with every word that Akari spoke.   

“Everyone knows that King Garrett only married Queen Maya to get the support of the Parite Clan, so he could be King.  Now that he has his throne, he has been quietly and tirelessly trying to suppress the Parite Clan for the past 25 years. And even though it may seem as if the Parite Clan has been suppressed, they have only taken a step back to not be in the spotlight, to only protect themselves.  

Queen Maya does not care about King Garrett’s friendship with Duke Obara.  She doesn't care if she destroys any family and clan, as long as she gets what she wants.  Which is Crown Prince Ciar on that throne, announced as King. With the funds from the Noboru Clan, they would be able to raise a bigger army than they have now.

With Prince Dae, being favored by a lot of ministers and a couple of generals, he is the closest in competition with Crown Prince Cair. His maternal family also holds a lot of power.  However, his maternal family are scholars, they do not have the funds nor the farsightedness to plan so meticulously ahead.  Their biggest support are scholars and you know how influential they are with the public.

As for the other Princes and their families, they too do not have the power, funds or farsightedness to plan such a grand scheme and forsake all friends and family to ensure the crown.”  

Jona sat still and quiet for a long time, thinking through Akari’s words.  No one said a single word until Jona was ready to speak. He was the head of the household.  It is his best interest to protect his family and his business.

“Let’s say, what you said is correct.”  Jona said softly as he sighed heavily. “How do we proceed?”  

“First, Mage Koya and I will speak with Duke Obara and fill him in on my thoughts.  While Mage Koya and I find the mage, I want you and mother to leave and go somewhere safe.”  Akari told them.

“And where would we be safe?” Emi asked.  “Mage Koya just placed a protection barrier around the house.  We should be fine, as long as we stay here.”

“I want you guys to be somewhere where the mage and the royal family cannot find you.”  Akari told them.

“And where would that be?” Jona asked.  

“My home.”  Dean told them.  He knew Akari would want them to stay at his home.  “I have several layers of protection around my home as well as two very talented and loyal servants who can help and protect you both.  It will be the safest place for you guys to be, while we find the mage and uncover Queen Maya and Crown Prince Ciar’s plot.”

“Please.”  Akari said as she held on to Emi’s hand.  “Please agree to this. My heart cannot be settled, knowing that there is a possibility of a threat against you both.”  

“And what about Duke Obara, Duchess Riho and Rin?”  Jona asked. He was not willing to see this friends suffer while they were safe.  Their friendship has lasted several decades, he could not turn his back on them. 

Akari looked down at the ground and couldn’t meet her father’s eyes.  She felt bad that she really didn’t care what happened to Rin’s parents or Rin.  However, she didn't like seeing her parent's sadness or see them suffering.  

“I need Rin as bait.”  Akari told her father as she finally looked up to meet his gaze.  “They are welcome to join the two of you at Mage Koya’s home, but Duke Obara and Duchess Riho might not want to leave Rin’s side.”  

The room became silent again as Jona fell into silence again.  He didn’t want to leave his friends behind. However he did not want to stay behind and cause Akari unnecessary worry that their lives were in danger.  

“We’ll do as you say.”  Jona said with conviction.  “I’ll leave my business in the hands of the Charles while your mother and I go on our "vacation."  Should Duke Obara and Duchess Riho decide to join us, that would be their decision.”

Akari finally let out the breath she was holding and smiled tightly at Jona.  She felt a huge weight lift off her shoulders as she tightened her hand around her mother’s hand.  With her family safe and sound, she would be able to do anything without worrying about their whereabouts.