Idiot

The next few months were awkward for Dean.  Akari would be warm and kind towards Green and Selena, while cold and distant towards him.  His eyes and heart unknowingly seeked her whereever she went. He began to work harder and harder at become a great teacher for her.  And she worked just as hard as a student to learn how to control her abilities.

Their conversations were nowhere as intimate as before.  It was only as a student to a teacher. Her smiles were all given to Selena and Green, making him angry and bitter.  However he couldn’t blame anyone, but himself.

This is what he wanted wasn’t it?  This is what he asked for. Then why did it feel so unsatisfying?  

A year quickly went by like this.  Then another year. Akari kept her distance from Dean, only seeking him for mage training and if there was a question that she couldn’t find in the library.  

She stopped going to the refining room to learn about herbs and refining medicine.  Her excuse was that her abilities didn’t include Healer so there was no point in learning about it.  When she sparred against him, she never held back. There were times, where he thought she wanted to kill him, so he fought back desperately, revealing all his hidden moves just to keep up with her three abilities.  His experience always won over her new found abilities.

The day of her 20th birthday, Dean told her that she could go back home for some time, to spend with her family. He thought Akari would smile at him and thank him profusely, however she just coldly nodded her head and excused herself.  

“I will come get you when it’s time to come back.”  Dean told her.

His conversation was met with silence again.  He began to detest her silence. Some days he would provoke her until she spoke to him.  He would train her so hard and relentlessly until she spoke to him. Only then did he let her off to rest.  

Dean opened his mouth to tell her to be careful and take care, however those words were unable to be said.  Akari had already left with a lightning flash and a loud boom of thunder.

Dean looked back on his behavior and scratched the back of his head in frustration.

“What the hell do you even want?!?”  Dean asked himself.

From the moment he looked at her as a woman, he began to observe her closely.  The changes within her features when she spoke to Selena and Green. The changes to her body.  She had grown in the chest and hips and slimmed in the waist. Her smooth skin and soft hair made him want to be near her at all times.  Her scent haunted him in his dreams and he had touched himself so many times over the past two years, thinking about Akari. Her once soft lavender eyes became cold and hard.  She no longer looked at him the same way since he made a mistake with her.

Deep down he wished he had gotten over Misah and his guilt over Misah's death before meeting Akari.  He should have, but instead of getting over his guilt, he pushed his memories out of the way and buried everything about Misah.  

And what made him angry the most about himself, was that he told Akari not to fall in love with him. When he could feel himself fall in love with her.  

“I’m such an idiot.” Dean said as he made his way back home.  

“Yes you are.”  Green said as he stood up from the garden.  “Now that you know you’re an idiot, what are you going to do about it?  Akari’s a good woman, she’s bound to have several men lining up at her door to woo her.  Especially now that she’s a mage, maybe even the King would decree a marriage with our Akari and the Crown Prince? You better start making moves before someone else does.”  

Dean frowned at Green for a long time before lightning struck and a thunder clapped loudly.  

“Such an idiot.”  Selena agreed as she watched the sky.