In The End

For the past four years, he kept his distance away from Kiko trying to figure out his feelings.  Four years to investigate Kiko and her friends. And when nothing came up, he watched them from afar. 

Over the four years, he received reports from his hidden guards of all of Kiko's movements.  He couldn't help the way he felt about her. She still held a small part of his heart. And it ached to be so far away from her. 

With his conflicted feelings of wanting to flee from her and love her.  He thought four years apart would make him forget her. Or help him figure out his feelings. However, the moment he saw Kiko and Wuying together, he couldn't help himself.  He was jealous.

He thought he could be alright with them together, but when Wuying told him, all logical thoughts were discarded.  He wanted Kiko and that was that.

With Kiko back inside his arms, he forgot about  Akari.  Wuying left the academy and never came back. Another four months passed by before he saw Akari again.  When he called out her name, she ran away from him.

He was fast, but she was faster.  She would suddenly disappear and Rin would spend the next few hours trying to find her.  He even waited for Akari by her door until curfew, but she never showed up.

What was peculiar was that every time he searched for Akari, Kiko would show up and he would forget about Akari again.  His attention would go back to Kiko and the feeling of love would overtake him.

The only time he got mixed feelings about Kiko is when he was searching for Akari. Time quickly passed and when the fifth month passed, Rin finally found Akari. 

She sat on the tree branch reading her book and eating an apple.  Rin was holding hands with Kiko as he approached Akari.

"Akari!"  Rin shouted as he ran towards her, pulling Kiko behind him.  "I've been looking everywhere for you."

Akari finished her apple and threw the core away.

"I have something I want to tell you." Rin said as he held Kiko's hand up to show Akari.  "We're back together now."

No matter how much she prepared for this moment.  She couldn't help herself from freeling as if her heart was ripped out of her body.  Sadness overwhelmed her and tears threatened to fall down. She closed her eyes and buried her feelings deeper and deeper.  Building a wall around her heart. This is what she has set out to do. She has to do it.

"I'm happy for the both of you."  Akari told him. "I wish you the best in the future." 

"You don't look surprise."  Rin said as he looked at Akari. 

"I'm not, it's been several months since you got together with Kiko.  Of course I'll find out about it." Akari told him.

"Oh."  Rin said as he nodded his head. 

Why did he feel as if he wanted Akari to feel jealous.  Why did he want Akari to be mad that he got back together with Kiko.  Why did he feel as if he was doing the wrong thing. When ever he was near Akari, he knew who he was and what he wanted.  Why is it that without her, he felt he was in a dark cave with no exit in sight?

"You... you're not mad?"  Kiko asked. Rin turned to Kiko as she spoke the words that were hidden inside of his heart. 

"Why should I be?"  Akari said as she looked up to the sky. 

The sky was dark.  Thick, dark clouds moved over them as if it would rain soon. 

With a loud boom, the rain began to fall heavily.  Kiko screamed and tugged Rin's hand to run inside.

"Let's go."  Kiko said as she tried to cover the rain from her face.  Their clothes were already drenched.

However something inside of Rin was telling him to stay.  Telling him not to go with Kiko or he will regret it.

"Rin!" Kiko shouted again as she pulled his arm.  "It's raining so hard! Lets go inside!"'

"Go back first, I have something to say to Akari."  Rin said as he turned to Kiko.

"Rin!" 

"Go Kiko. I'll be right behind you.  I have a few words for her, that is all.  Wait for me by inside the academy's door, I'll be right there."  Rin promised her.

"Fine."  Kiko said as she looked between Akari and Rin.  Kiko ran to the academy and left the door open. She watched from inside of the academy as Rin spoke to Akari. 

"That day, when we saw Kiko and Wuying confess their feelings and became a couple.  Did you know then that I would take Kiko back?" Rin asked.

Akari was quiet for a long time letting the rain pour down on them.  The large raindrops fell to the ground covering any other sounds.

"I did." 

"How?" 

"Because." Akari said as she took a breath before telling him the truth. "In the end, you'll always go back to her."