Room of Nightmares (No Ship)

September 9th, 2019
Requested by lpsgaming

There are many rooms in the Mind Palace. Some bring about feelings of happiness and nostalgia, like Patton's. Others bring about feelings of anxiety and self doubt like Virgil's. Individual Sides' rooms typically pass on the feelings that the inhabiting Side is most know for being responsible for. However, there are other rooms in the Mind Palace that belong to no in particular Side.

One afternoon, Remus thought of a hilarious prank he could play on the Light Sides. He hadn't intended to get Virgil involved too, for the joke wouldn't work on him, but he overestimated the number of Sides in the room when he performed his trick.

This "trick" transported Patton, Logan, Roman, and Virgil to the room he liked to call the "playroom". The others referred to it as the Room of Nightmares.

Virgil blinked as he regained awareness of his surroundings, having felt himself be transported but uncertain of who had done it. He hadn't teleported himself and he was just sitting in the common room when everything started to swirl together.

There was a chill in the air and the room was dark around him. He closed his eyes and listened; if he let his other senses work for a bit, his vision would become accustomed to the dark. He could hear breathing somewhere close by which told him he wasn't alone. The sweet smell of cookies was wafting from his left and a more masculine scent was coming from his right. It only took him a moment to place the scents as the smell of Patton and Roman respectively; the moral Side had just been baking cookies and the prince never didn't have cologne or perfume on.

The only Side he wasn't sure about was Logan. He was going to have to listen or see him to be sure he was there too. Fortunately, when he opened his eyes again, the gloom of the room had lessened a bit to him and he could make out the outlines of the other three Sides as he looked around.

They were sitting up, looking around in a bit of a daze. "What happened?" Patton asked, confusion evident in his voice. "I don't remember teleporting anywhere."

"Neither do I," the logical Side agreed with a frown.

Roman looked himself up and down and then gasped. "I recognize the faint traces of my brother's magic," he huffed. "He must've teleported the three of us as a practical joke! I'll whoop his butt for this!"

"First of all, there's four of us," the anxious Side said, making them turn toward him in surprise. "Second of all, calm down Roman, I'm sure it's not a big deal."

As he finished speaking, the room around them seemed to change. A spotlight shone down on each of the Light Sides present, making each of them flinch.

Virgil frowned. No light had landed on him. It was odd in the Mind Palace for a room not to acknowledge all of its current inhabitants, unless it was specifically designed to not affect certain Sides...

"Oh wait," he muttered, eyes widening. "Oh, shit."

If the room wasn't acknowledging his presence, it had to be a room that only affected Light Sides. There were almost no rooms in the Mind Palace that strictly affected Light Sides that weren't negative. This had to have been Remus' intent if Roman was right about the Duke sending them here.

In front of each of the Light Sides, an image appeared. It was impossible for anyone other than the person directly in front of it to see and it was immersive to the point where they ignored their fellow Sides.

Virgil walked toward Logan, a worried frown on his face. The logical Side's breathing was unusually uneven and he was muttering to himself. "Logan? Are you okay?"