Chapter 20

Melody's PoV

It's been weeks, since it happened. They closed the murder investigation, putting it down to an animal attack.

Bella and I, both knew that that was a load of bullshit. But there was nothing I could do, but stare out of Bella's window, wishing that they were still here.

I could sense Bella was behind me.

"Mels," she gently approaches me, "it's time to go."

Sighing I stand up and look into the mirror. Staring at my black dress.

As you might have guessed, today was the day of my parents funeral.

I sit down at Bella's dressing table, and put on some dangling earrings.

I see Bella place a letter next to me. I glance at it and see that it had my name on it, in my mothers handwriting.

"I'll give you a moment," Bella states closing the door, "come down when you are ready."

I nod.

It then goes completely silent.

I slowly open it, carefully tracing my name.

My sweet Mellie.

If this letter, ever finds you, then something must have happened to me and I guess your father too.
I'm sorry that you're going through this. I would never leave you unless I have no choice. Jus know that in my final moments, I would have thought of you. Thought of how strong you are. How fierce and loyal you are.
I want you to know that you are the best thing that ever happened to me, and even if I'm not here with you, it doesn't mean I'm not there in your heart.
Scream, cry and yell at how unfair life is but please don't try to follow me. I want you to live a full and happy life. I want you to fall in love, get married. I want you to laugh and cry at the thought of us. Most importantly I want you to cherish what you have, don't take things for granted. You and I both know that things can slip through our fingers without realising it.

I stop reading and spot another piece of paper. With the date the Cullen's left.

I start reading it.

Mellie, if anything has happened to me, or your father, it's important that you follow these instructions.
We've seen how attached you have become to that young boy Edward. We want you to stay happy, so we've altered our will. In the case that anything happens to us, we want Carlisle and Esme to adopt you. We want you to stay with Edward. We all know how much you love each other, and I want you to stay with him forever.

Promise me, that you'll live, if not for us or yourself. Then for him.

Because it's clear that his love for you is strong and pure. And you need that. You need to be cherished and loved, especially if we are no longer able to do so.

All my love, your dear mother.
Lilly Peters.

I stare at the letter. Not realising that my tears were staining the paper. Causing the ink to flow and merge together.