Chapter 53

Melody's PoV

I sit next to the fire, Edward's arm wrapped around me. Darkness engulfed the sky around the Cullen residence.

I listen to the fire crackle softly as Eleazar explains what is actually going on.

"When Aro wants someone from a coven, it's never long before evidence turns up proving that coven committed some crime," he informs those of us who aren't familiar with the volturi's actions.

"So he's done this before?" Bella asks.

Eleazar nods, "It happens so rarely, I never realized it was a pattern."

"Apparently he always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repenting," Carlilse tells us.

"This person always has an ability, and always given a place with the guard," Eleazar agrees.

Edward sighs,"This is allabout Alice, he has no one like her."

I sigh deeply,"Which is why she left!"

"But why does he need witnesses?" Emmett asks confused.

Alistair enters the room, slowly pacing towards everyone, "To spread the word that justice has been served, after he slaughters an entire coven."

Amun stands up looking concerned, "Benjamin, Tia, we're leaving."

Edward scoffs, abruptly releasing my hand standing to his feet, "And where will you go? What makes you think they'll be satisfied with Alice? What's to stop them from going after Benjamin next? Or Zafrina, or Kate, or anyone else with a gift, anyone they want. They're goal isn't punishment, it's about power, it's acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will. For the sake of my family, but also for yours, and for the way you wanna live."

Everything goes silent.

I smile at my husband's courage, standing up next to him signifying that I would stand with him until the end.

Jake stands up, along with Bella and Ashton.

"The packs will fight, we've never been afraid of vampires," Jake informs.

The Delani's stand, "We will fight."

"This won't be the first time I've fought a king's rule," Garrett explains.

Benjamin nods, "We'll join you."

Amun turns to his son, "No!"

Benjamin shakes his head, "I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please."

"We will stand with you."

"So will we."

After a few minutes nearly all the vampire stand up.

"That didn't take much," the creepy vampire says.

I recently learned that his name is Vladimir, his friend who's called Stefan. I got confused between who was who.