Chapter Fifty five

Last chapter summary: Four of them (Soha,Rahat, Shujaat and Mahi) got stuck in the middle of nowhere. They take shelter somewhere in the village. Soha and Rahat share a somewhat intimate moment with each other.

Rahat's point of view:

Seven days with Soha passed by in a blink. It was our last day in Haider mansion. We were having one last meal with the whole family. Khala insisted that both Shujaat and I eat with them.

Everyone was at the table. In these past seven days I learned that it was an unwritten rule to eat without chit-chatting unless the elders spoke first. I also knew that Soha and Mihad only abide by the rules in front of their grandma. I glanced at Soha only to see her bright eyes cast down every time. She never looked at me.

"Soha, we need to talk. I'll be waiting in the study." Grandma said as she silently put her spoon on the plate.

"Whatever it is, you can say in front of everyone."

"Very well. I've arranged a meeting for you with Mrs. Haq's youngest grandson." Grandma spoke with an authoritative voice. "Cancel everything on your schedule tonight."

My ears perked up at the mention of this arranged date. A chilly shiver ran down my spine as my hands felt sweaty.

"I don't want to."

Soha's flat voice didn't even bother her one bit. But her answer had a soothing effect on my heart as if I've never heard anything sweeter than this.

"So, you're going back on your word?"

"I never promised to meet him or anyone. And you can't force me. You have no power over me." She looked at her grandma as if daring her to say otherwise.

"You really want to try and see. . ."

Mr.Haider stepped in.

"Ma, let's not talk about this in front of the guests."

Grandma huffed as she couldn't say anything else. Everyone seemed startled by the sudden turn of events.

"Omg! We need to leave for the airport." Mahi grabbed Soha's hand. "We'll meet you guys in half an hour."

Soha glanced at me for a second before following Mahi to the stairs.

************************

We went back to the guesthouse. I walked in to my temporary room and saw my belongings scattered all over the room. I picked up every thing one by one. I wished I could do the same with my feelings that would be lingering here even after I was gone.

Was there any way to pick up those feelings too?

I found the heart shaped kite that we flown at the Shakrain. As much as I wanted to leave it behind, my heavy heart wouldn't let me. I put it at the top of my clothes so that it could be safe throughout the journey.

Shujaat knocked on the door before coming in.

"Are you rea-" Shujaat stopped mid sentence. "Why are looking at the kite like this?"

"Just wanted to. . . Nothing."

"What's bugging you? You were okay last night. . . Wait, something happened between you two. What is it?"

"Soha likes me." I said turning around to face him.

"And you don't?" He folded his hands.

I nodded silently. I never thought I could like someone after spending only a week with the person. But here I was, trying to deceive myself. It didn't feel good thinking about Soha with someone else. It hurt to imagine her holding someone else's hand. It took all my strength to not react at her grandma's proposal.