Chapter six

A/n: Ammu means mom

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Mahi's point of view

When soha stormed upstairs dragging Zaima with her, I knew I had crossed the line this time. Khala sighed and I chased after her.

When I reached the stairs, she was on top of the staircase already. I climbed up the stairs two at a time. I saw her running towards Zaima's room and locking the door behind her. I sighed deeply. It was no avail to try talking to her.

I walked to the opposite direction where she was. I entered into her room. It was dark so I went to switch on the lights. But gave up the intention after contemplating that if Soha knew I was still in her room she might not come in here. So I turned on my cell phone's flash light and went to sit on the beanbag I was sitting earlier.

She must be furious at the attempt of my silly joke, I thought leaning towards the wall. You must be thinking that what's the big deal about it? Why couldn't she take a simple joke?

But believe me when I say this. She wasn't like this at all. Once upon a time this moody grumpy girl was outgoing, a wicked prankster loved by everyone.

I felt myself smiling reminiscing all those moments we have spent together pranking people. But we never did anything extreme that could trouble others seriously. Even though we, mostly Soha pranked other people, they always praised her. They used to admire her kindness, her manners.

She used to be so naive, so innocent that she had been deceived so many times. Some people learn the hard way. Soha did too. She had changed since . . . I didn't know for the better or worse. But I did know one thing and that was I wanted my BFF back.

Recollecting those days I almost forgot how frightened I was about her reaction. I knew that I shouldn't have pushed her buttons. She was trying not to be triggered so much. She even agreed to open an account on fb. It proved her efforts. But no, I had to go and open my trap. I had to irritate her. Urgh. . . .

Soha's pov:

I stood outside of my room. I knew Mahzabin was inside. I  wondered why it was so dark in there?  Was she asleep already? I also knew that she was going crazy imagining how mad I was gonna be at her. I wasn't angry at all for her silly jokes. I know how to take jokes lightly. I was only trying to act annoyed with her. I took a long deep breath and entered into the room.

At first I couldn't see anything.  After few seconds of fumbling I found the switch and turned it on. The first thing I saw was Mahi leaning on the wall as she sat on a beanbag.

She stood up and came close to me. But not enough close because she wasn't in arm length.

"Listen Mahi"

"Listen Soha"

We said at the same time. I smiled but she didn't.

Why is she so nervous? Oh my god! Is she afraid of me? Does she think I'm going to hit her or something? But I'd never do that.

I felt so hurt. After seeing her like this all my ideas to give her a test of her own medicine flew out of the windows.

But it wasn't only that one time. I remembered, it wasn't only her but also my family except Zaima.  I had noticed my folks were always wary whenever I was around them.

I was in my own world until she touched me.

"Let me talk first." She said pulling me to the bed. Both of us sat there in silence. Maybe she was thinking of ways to tell whatever she was gonna say to me.

And I was there. . . thinking about what had changed us so much that we needed to be formal with each other.

"You know what has changed." my subconscious replied me.

"I wanted to say sorry. " she started talking and I was back to planet earth once again.

"What for?"

"You know the reason."

I gasped, touching the part where my heart should be. And  'tried' to fake a hurt face. I was just trying to imitate her previous action and she could understand that easily. There.  . . She was smiling.

"You're such a dramaqueen!" She smiled even bigger this time.

"Why thank you. I learned from the best." Both of us started laughing like the two idiots that we were.

But I stopped laughing remembering my previous thoughts. So did she.

"You don't have to say sorry. I can take jokes lightly, you know."  I told her being serious and all. She raised her left eyebrow as she stared at me. It was like her saying "oh yeah?"

"Okay that was one time." I tried not to look at her. I knew she was still making faces.

"But I'm hurt. I don't know why you and the rents always become wary of me. It's like you're walking on eggshells when you guys are with me." I tried to avoid her gaze.

"It's not like that, babe." Mahi tried to tell me but I shook my head not wanting to hear any excuses.

"It's been years you know. You guys don't have to be like that. I'm okay now, aren't I? Maybe I'm not playful or talkative like before but nothing else is changed, right?" I asked as I needed assurance for myself. 

"You are right, Soha. I'm sorry if you felt like that. From now on I'll be more considerate. I also want us to be like before again."

All I saw in her eyes was sincerity and genuine care.  She hugged me. It felt so good. Her hug was the second best after ammu's. I hugged her back.

That night I felt like something was going to happen. Something good, positive. We went to sleep with a happy mood but not before creating the said Fake account.