Chapter Twenty three

Dedicated to my real life's Mahi tammitahrin

Soha's point of view:

I clicked on the new email. There was a video or something like that. The moment I clicked on the start button, the familiar and favorite tone started playing.

"You've got a friend in me."

The familiar voice of Randy Newman spoke up as pictures started rolling one by one. The photos were of Mahi and I's when I was around ten and she was eight years old.

Then some pictures were when we had celebrated our birthdays, some were taken when we had sleepovers at each other's places.

All happy moments, all the funny moments we had, were captured and now was being presented in a slide show in front of me. The whole time, Randy Newman had been singing a song from my favorite movie 'Toy Story'.

Before the song ended, three words, 'I am sorry' came floating with the last photo.

Even though a smile plastered on my lips, I felt numb remembering the words I had said to her in the cafe. I almost called her a backstabbing bi*ch.

This was the friend who had held me when I was grieving the loss of my mother. And all those times, she stood up for me when people bad mouthed about me.

If Rahat hadn't told me to talk to her, I would have pushed her away too. Although he had acted vain and arrogant sometimes, he seemed sensible and a true friend to me. I didn't know why I had shared my personal problem with him. But it wasn't a wrong decision at all.

After talking to him, I felt much better. My mind had diverted towards our conversation, and I thanked him once again for telling me to sort it out.

I have to talk to her. Without bothering about the time or anything in the world, I ran out of my room and came downstairs. Remembering the prior incidents when I came home earlier, I walked to the foyer where I had thrown the keys away. Without delay, I started searching for the keys.

"What are you doing?" My brother Mihad asked while standing on the last step of the staircase. "My keys. I had thrown them over here earlier." I replied and kept searching.

"It's in the right place where it should be." He replied and I ran across the room to the southern part of the hall. That's where we all used to keep our keys in a bowl which was placed on the top of the selves.

"Why do you need it now? It's almost 10:40 pm." He asked me with curious look in his eyes. "I have to go to Mahi's place." I replied hurriedly. "Why do you want to go there when she's here?" He further asked and gave me a confused look.

"She's here?" I asked him to ensure what I just heard was correct. He nodded and opened his mouth to say something. But I didn't give him a chance to ask something. He and the rest of my folks didn't know what happened between the both of us. And I wanted them to remain oblivious.

I climbed up the stairs fast and barged through the door of her room without knocking first.

Although Rahat had told me to think about what I want to say to her or how I would start the conversation. But when I entered the room, I forgot that I didn't think about what to say. Even I had no idea how to start the conversation.

She was facing the Window and looking out at something. "I'm sorry! Please forgive me?" I said without looking her way. The sudden sound of my voice startled her. Mahi leaped across the room and hugged me.

"I'm sorry! I shouldn't have hid it from you. I didn't hold his hand intentionally. And I had no other choice than meet him. I didn't want to meet him but he blackmailed me. He said that he would disturb you if I didn't meet him anytime he wanted." Her voice cracked and I felt enraged. "How dare he blackmailed my best friend!"