Fifty Two

Third person pov :

The four adults yet somewhat childish people argued as the car came to a sudden halt.

"There were three cars to choose from. And you had to go and pick this one!"

"Who's idea was it to drive in the middle of the night instead of waiting for the helicopter till morning and go back?" Soha asked barely containing her anger.

"Mine." Rahat grumbled from the passenger seat.

Soha flicked on the hazard lights, expecting some other cars to see and help them. Not that there was a possibility of any other cars passing by this time of the night.

"Guys, stop arguing!" Shujaat said, from the backseat. "Our car just broke in the middle of nowhere! Just think of something!"

"Actually, this isn't middle of nowhere. See, there are paddy fields on either side of the road. That means a village must be around here somewhere." Mahi replied, poking her head out of the window. 

Now that they looked around, not a soul could be seen. Soha got out of the car with her cellphone, trying to phone someone for help. But her cellphone was only useful as a flashlight as there was no cell reception.  She got into the car once again.  Being frustrated, she slammed her cellphone somewhere inside the car.

After a moment of silence, Mahi spoke out.  "Let's go find a village."

And why do you think the villagers will let us, some strangers into their home in this wee hours of the night?" Shujaat snickered. " What if they call cops on us?" His voice was low and touched with a teasing note.

"You know nothing about us, Bangladeshis. We're the most hospitable people in the world." Mahi said in a defensive manner.
"Look, there's a car coming this way!"  Soha hollered as she looked into the rear view mirror. 

All of them got out of the car, excited to find a way to leave this creepy area. All four of them waved their hands so that the driver could see and stop. But to their dismay, the white truck loaded with goods charged forward without any care. Soha stood in the middle of the road while others went to the sidewalk.

The truck brought back some unwanted memories. . . . She closed her eyes as a flashback played on her mind. The fear of reliving that unbearable feeling made her motionless. She could see nothing, nor did she hear them screaming to get out of the way. She stayed still even when Rahat grabbed her arm, forcing her out of the truck's way.

"What do you think you were doing?  Are you insane or what?" Rahat couldn't help but yell at the stupid girl.

Mahzabin came running towards them. Without a word, she just hugged her best friend. The guys exchanged glances waiting for the girls to explain what was happening. Then it suddenly struck Rahat.

The white truck. . . Soha's mom. ..

His eyes soften in sympathy for his friend. Was she still a friend?  Wasn't today the end of their friendship?  End of everything more they could be? 

He didn't want to think of that now. Not when she was about to pass out. He just wanted to hold her close to him. So, when Mahzabin let go of Soha, he took the chance. He embraced her in a tight hug. 

"It's okay, you're okay. Sshhhh. . ." To calm her down, he rubbed Soha's back in a slow circle motion.

     ***********************

Still 3rd person pov :

"Guys." Mahzabin called out in a meek voice. But no one replied as Soha was still recovering from that haunting moment while Rahat involuntarily, kept glancing at her.

"We need to find a place to stay the rest of the night, like right now!"

"And why's that?" Shujaat asked.

"Because I need to use the restroom." Mahi raised one of her little fingers. 

"What's the problem then?" Shujaat pretended to be confused. "Get out of the car and do it behind the bushes."

"Shujaat!" Rahat shot him a stern look.

"What? That's why you shouldn't travel with girls. They always need extra luggages, extra everything!"

"I'll go with you." Soha said, turning on the flashlight on her cellphone.

"You stay right here!" Rahat's eyes narrowed on her.

"You go with her. Try not to get killed by the villagers." Shujaat groaned as Rahat looked at the backseat. Spring air greeted them as they pushed the door open. 

Using the small  yet powerful flashlight, Shujaat looked around trying to find a way. A narrow dirt road between two fields could be seen from where they stood by the car. 

"It's this way!"

  *************************

The silence was broken by a sneeze.

"I'm so sorry!" Soha sincerely apologized.  "Could you please pass me the tissue box?"

Rahat silently passed the box, not even bothering to glance at her. Awkward silence again engulfed them until Soha sneezed again. 

"I think I should get out of-"

"And do what? Catch a cold?" He glared, not sure whether Soha saw that or not. "Stay put."

"I'm sorry." Soha mumbled.

"What is it really? Tell me honestly, did you plan all this to have fun and say 'I knew you'd be a fool to believe all the lies and come so far?' Tell me!"

"You honestly believe that I did something to the car?" Soha asked, her eyebrows raised. "You were the one to suggest that plan, remember? 

Rahat snorted. "You know very well what I'm talking about. So, stop acting and just tell me! Is it fun? How many guys fell for that bullshit?" He said before he turned towards her.  

"You've no idea what I've been through or how I've been living all these years before you came into my-" A lump formed in her throat, forcing her to stop mid sentence. "So, stop acting like you figured out my whole life.

   ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

A/n:  I know! I know!  It's short.  But I just wanted to give you guys an update. It's been ages since I wrote this chapter. It was too long so I had to break it down into two parts. Hope you'll enjoy it. 

If you have any questions or opinions, please let me know without hesitation. You don't know how much I love reading your comments. 

♡♥