chapter five

A/n: Soha's bedroom ->

Khala means Maternal aunt
Abbu means Dad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soha's pov:

"Fin. . ." Mahi snatched the book from my hand before I could finish the word.

"Geez girl, where's the fire?" I asked her. The way she snatched the book it seemed like the world was ending or she had a train to catch. I would have given the book to her. . . . eventually. She didn't need to snatch it like a hawk.

"Shut up and let me think. I like all of them except mine. Why did you write my name?" She asked me with an amused look on her face. I walked to my wardrobe and pulled my pj's out.

"You keep thinking about the names. I'm gonna take a shower. Khala will call us downstairs for dinner in ten minutes."

I entered my ensuite bathroom and took a shower. I made it out in a record time because khala didn't like to wait for anyone when we were about to have dinner.

All the members of the family had to be present in the dining hall at 8:00 sharp. We didn't have breakfast or lunch together because of everyone's different work schedule. So dinner time was bonding time.

"Are you done yet?" I asked her hurriedly trying to put some moisturizer on.

"Hmm? What? No, I've cut it down to two names. But I can't decide which one to choose. I like them both equally." She whined.

I ran past her to my walk in closet. I needed a stole. I was wearing pj's and it was against the table manners that my grandmother had set up in her house. Even though she didn't live with us, khala had to keep practicing what her mother in law taught her.

"Why do you need so much time to pick a simple name anyway? It's not your daughter's name you are choosing. Just choose whatever." I told her putting the stole on my head and wrap it loosely around my shoulders.

"I don't know." She huffed. I didn't know why she was making such a big deal about the names. It was a fake id after all.

"Well. . . You can think later. Let's go, we only have a minute left." I looked in the mirror one last time to see that if the stole covered my hair and chest or not.

Mahi followed suit, checking up her appearance, she approached the door. But I ran past her quickly shoving her to the side and got downstairs.

Khala was setting up the table as I walked in. Mahi came in at the same time giggling like a child. We offered khala to help her but she declined.

"Thanks girls, but I've got this. I'd rather you two go and call everyone for dinner.

I texted my younger brother, Mihad and went to fetch my baby sister, Zaima who was five years old. Mahi went to get my father. Everyone came downstairs in a minute. I chuckled watching them as I wasn't the only one who didn't want to be the victim of khala's wrath.

We ate and chatted a lot. Mihad and abbu was finished with their dinner, therefore excused themselves. Khala was helping Zaima with her food. Mahi thought it would be the right time to open her trap and make me embarrassed.

"Khala, have you ever thought about grand babies?" Mahi asked khala while looking back at me smirking. Khala looked confused for a moment. Zaima was only five then. She looked at me and smiled.

Mahi asked about my babies. Now that khala understood what Mahi meant, she smiled even bigger this time.

"Yeah. . . Many times." She replied dreamily as if she was having a dream about her grand babies then and there. Even though I wasn't looking at Mahi. I knew she was still smirking. I also knew that she was planning  a revenge for shoving her.

I groaned and looked at Zaima eating, oblivious to what was going on. I smiled at her, and she returned her heart warming smile and got back to eating. She was the only one other than Mahi who made me smile and forget everything. Although at that moment, Mahi was on the verge of getting herself out of my good book.

Zaima was my half sister but I loved her more than my own brother. Don't tell him though.

After my mother's death, abbu got married to khala. They had Zaima two years later. That's another story to tell.

I came back to planet earth after hearing some laughter.

"You were thinking about your future kids, weren't you?" Mahi burst out laughing as soon as she finished the sentence. And it seemed khala couldn't help it but laugh and try to cover it with coughs. I rolled my eyes at their poor attempt. 

After a few minutes when the devil aka mahi's laugh died down, she cleared her throat. I looked at her suspiciously.

What else she could say now!

"So khala, if you get to choose one of your grand daughter's name between Raha and nowshin. Which one would it be?" She asked khala in all seriousness as if I had given birth to a daughter already and now they had to choose a name.

Khala remained silent for a moment and said, "I would have thought about it from the very first moment of the pregnancy. How can I decide in such a short notice! Anyway, I'll go with Nowshin. By the way, how many days have left, Soha?"

I was dumbfounded, shocked, flabbergasted, all the synonyms of the word surprise has in the dictionary while they erupted in laughter. Even khala didn't try to conceal her laughter anymore.

I scoffed and jumped out of my seat. Zaima was finished with her dinner so I took her left hand in my hand and marched upstairs. I heard some heavy footsteps coming towards me as I reached the top of the stairs.

Zaima asked me if I could read some bedtime story for her. So I went to her room. Helping her to brush those tiny teeth, I put her pjs on. Then tucking her in the bed, I read her favorite story. I kissed her good night, and switched off the lights.

I didn't wanna go to my room yet so I went to check if abbu needed anything.

khala was headed to their bedroom. She told me to go to the bed. Khala also told me not to take their joke to heart and kissed my forehead wishing me good night.

I wasn't going to take the joke seriously but I also wasn't going to pass on the chance to make Mahi uncomfortable and writhing. Because I knew she was thinking that she had made me mad at her with the joke.

I laughed evily in my head. She was going to know the definition of making someone uncomfortable.