Chapter Twenty two

A/n: Almost 1700 words! The most longest chapter till now.  Hope I was able to portray Soha's feelings clearly. Tell me if you guys have any questions or suggestions.

The chapter is not edited. Sorry for the mistakes.  Happy reading. :)

Soha's point of view:

Upon waking up, I was greeted by the darkness. The digital clock indicated that 9:30 in the evening. I started groping my bedsheets and nightstand for the cellphone, and was unable to find it anywhere. I had a weird dream.

I dreamt that Mahi asked me to meet up with her at a cafe. And entering the cafe, I found her seated there and holding hands with my ex. 

I flipped on the light switch and saw my cell phone lying on the floor. I picked it up. The screen of the phone was cracked badly. Throwing it in the bin, I entered the bathroom to wash my face. I sprayed some water on my face and looked in the mirror. My eyes were red and eyelids sullen.

Then I started to remember everything that happened today. It wasn't a dream. "it was real, all of it!" I whispered while looking at my own reflection in the mirror.

                    FLASHBACK

Mahi had texted me and I went to meet her at the cafe. I entered the cafe and saw that she had company. I freaked out a little thinking that he might be the guy she had a crush on. I couldn't see his face yet so I moved a bit forward to get a clear view. But I was shocked when I saw who the guy was.

He was Nishan, my ex boyfriend. My best friend and my ex were sitting together as if nothing happened all those years ago. It was Mahi herself, who exposed him in front of me.

"She didn't even want to hear his name till last week. Then what has changed?  Why is she sitting there in front of him with. . . . What looks like a thoughtful face?" I asked myself.

I couldn't decide if I should wait for them to look at me or leave the cafe. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to stay. They seemed to be engrossed in conversation.

It might be only a single minute but to me, it felt like ten or so minutes. My brain started to swarm with the memories.

"The first meeting at the school.

Mahi and I's friendship with him.
The first date at the park after skipping school together.

First year anniversary of our relationship.

His exposure by Mahi.

His confession of cheating and being a gold digger."

"I loved your money, not you!"

I came back to the present time only to see both of them holding hands. I watched them in bewilderment as Mahi remained still with a poker face.

Nishan happened to look at my way and paled like a corpse. Mahi followed his gaze and looked straightly at my eyes.

I was having a hard time believing in what I just saw in front of my eyes. Mahi asked me what I was doing there. I told her about the text.

Even though I was there, they were still holding each other's hands. All I could feel was betrayal. A lump formed in my throat which made it hard to talk. I waited for her to explain something. . .  anything. But she didn't say anything as if it was a common thing to get caught while she's holding hands with her best friend's ex. The same ex who accused her of lying.