VI

Adalina R. Vasquez//

"So I just drop the onions in the melted butter?"

"Yes ma'am, make sure your eye is on low though because once you add the green beans you want all the flavor to get into it. And once you add the onions-"

"Add the mushrooms."

"Yeah you got it." I smiled at Utopia and she blushed. I could tell this little crush she had was kind of big. "So um why don't you know how to cook?"

"My mom doesn't know how to cook. She know how to pour some milk into some cereal though."

"You a trip!"

"I'm serious, not knowing how to cook in my family is a generation curse. Don't nobody know how to fucking cook in my family. Im very grateful that I'm now surrounded by families that know how to throw down in the kitchen though cause I was getting tired of eating burnt and dry ass corn bread."

"Yeah, we grew up in the kitchen. Aleyah Vasquez is big on if you gone eat you gone contribute, unless it's somebody like you that don't know how to cook she gone let you sit that one out fasho." Utopia bust out laughing and I started laughing with her when we heard the door to the condo open.

"Utopia!" Dominic yelled, he sounded a little...off, but that's not my business.

"I'm in the kitchen baby!"

"Oh, shit, wassup Lina. Didn't know you was gone be here. Was wondering why it actually smell good in here, I thought somebody else was in this motherfucker."

"Boy fuck you." Utopia said while smacking her lips and we all laughed.

"I'm guessing you took her up on them cooking lessons?"

"Sure did, every woman should know how to cook, especially when she got a man."

"Period." Utopia co-signed and I giggled.

"Yes she should. I'm surprised she even catching on with you. I tried to teach her how to cook and she almost burnt down our place."

"I can concentrate with Lina, thank you."

"I wonder why." Dominic squinted his eyes at her and she made a face at him.

"Stop it Dominic Shamoy."

"Y'all gone have to excuse me." I said while my phone was ringing on the counter.

"Oh gone head' I'll try not to burn anything."

"Make sure you check on that chicken in the oven Utopia." I said before accepting Ahmir's call and stepping out into the hallway of their floor. "Hello."

"So Nasir has a doctors appointment coming up. He needs his shots and you always the one to do that-"

"Very much aware, missed classes for it and everything."