Chapter Thirty-Three

Tris

The next day couldn't come fast enough. Too many hours of contemplating what to say to Justice group of people. Keeping her family at their new home, Tris drove in the gate of Justice base. Patrick explained on the drive how the people might respond. Tris didn't care what people felt. Either they came or didn't.

The car parked and then they walked through the side of the stadium to the front. It seemed they were all expecting her to arrive, sitting on the bleachers. Justice stood, arms crossed, turning to her in acknowledgement.

"Justice." Tris greeted him properly in front of everyone staring down watching.

He nodded and shook my head. "Tris." She bowed his head to Patrick and then face the silent crowd. "As you have noticed, we have been making changes. Setting up extra safety precautions and training." He took a few steps forward as if that would make everyone focus on him completely. He waved his hand out toward Tris. "Her family joined us almost two weeks ago, Tris a couple days passed now. I know many of you question why she is standing beside me now."

Tris stepped forward. She wasn't interested in public speeches. She wanted to say what she needed and get out.

"What it comes down to is, Tris and her family had a lot to offer us. Their experience with being out there since the start of this...made them valuable and allies. Yesterday, Tris led a group of us, with a few of her own, to take out a large herd. It was the FEMA building we've all been wanting to obtain. And as of yesterday, they were successful."

The people cheered, excited to know they'd have additional resources. When Justice lifted his hand up, they slowly drew back their cheers, awaiting more his speech. "Tris has much to offer our community and has proven that. I know you've heard rumors but I'm here to tell you...to listen. She and her two partners will be the leaders of the new community. And we will work together as allies. Take care of each other." Justice nodded to Tris, giving her the chance to take the lead.

Looking up to the people, she noticed distrust and confusion. "Everyone who knows me, calls me Tris. My partners Felicia and Madison. Brennon is Madison's daughter. My brother, Christian and his girlfriend, Christy. And Jeff and his baby brother, Jacob. Each of us, just like you guys. Wanting to survive. Needing a place to call safe. Fearing that there will never be such a thing. I wanted to make that be the first words I say to you. I am human. But, I am also something more. I was bitten the night of the first outbreak."

Immediately, the crowd chattered in mixed reviews. Many not pleased by what she announce. It was as if they heard nothing. Tris wanted to show patience, understanding to their fear, and fairness in letting them express. No one would want to be led by someone who sounded ruthless or mean. But Tris also wanted to make it clear, she was no push over and did not tolerate disrespect. She gave them a minute more and then shook her head. "That's right. Soak it in." She watched them stare down at her in confusion.

Leaving the harshness out her tone, Tris spoke over them. "My parents nearly ended my life. Like many of you, I wondered what was going on. I saw the news. The hospitals holding sick people. Family, friends, someone you love getting sick. Trying to nurse them to health. And I saw the end result." Slowly everyone went silent. She straightened and continued. "Then, I wake up to my parents attacking me. And then...I wake up again, down in the basement. My baby brother, thinking I was dead. But, I wasn't. I was bitten and I was still breathing. But then there was more. I got stronger. Was able to survive brutal injuries. Bitten again. And still here. And since then...all I've done was try to help those in need and protect my family as they did the same for me."

She looked to Justice. "I don't want to lie about who I am. So, I won't. I am honest, fair. A interesting sense of humor. Passionate. But, I'm also, stubborn, impatient, and straight to the point. I don't like being lied to and I don't tolerate anyone who would threaten the well being of the people I care about. Any who steps through the new community we just claimed, will be people I care about. That is what I can guarantee. And that is where my partners come in, to be what you all need too."