Chapter Thirteen

Tris

   Daydreaming, Tris could picture a half dozen trays of sushi. She missed that. The savory taste, swirling in her mouth. She licked her dry lips. They were cracked from the dry air.

Tris could hardly sleep with walkers bumping into the library on occasion. It didn't matter from which direction the thumps came from, Tris could hear every sound, and their soft grated moans. It left her dreading the end result.

The whistling of wind and the darkness of the sky made it impossible for them to leave now.

Felicia and Madison slept huddled against both ends of her. Felicia's thigh was swept across Tris legs, Madison hand rested atop Felicia leg, at the center of Tris body. At the crook of Tris neck, Felicia's fingers brushed against her skin. "I can hear your heart going a mile a minute. Sleep." Her groggy tone carried.

"I'm trying," Tris muttered.

Felicia sighed. She lifted her head up and considered Tris eyes. There was a lingering pause of breath. She stroked Tris cheek. "You are always going to worry about everything."

"Until there's a land considered safe from zombies, I'll always worry."

"And if this never ends?" Felicia averted her eyes, her own question scaring her into silence.

There was silent between them. Tris didn't know how to answer. There was a lot to consider. She hoped things could change and end this zombie apocalypse. But what did that mean for her future if things went to a new normal? Tris had been bitten and changed.

"Things will never change completely for the better. Not in our lifetime. But, I damn well promise you both, I'll always fight for life. And make sure my daughter can live a long and strong controlled life." Madison let out her thoughts, clearing the insecure silence between the two woman.

"I like that way of thinking," Tris said.
She shut her eyes, taking a few seconds to take in Madison's words and her own thoughts.

   Tris lifted her head up as if a gun shot went off. Eyes wild, Tris swerved her head around as if in search of someone.

   "What's wrong?" Madison whispered, shaken by Tris abrupt behavior.

   Felicia sat up, redoing her ponytail. "You hear something?"

   "I've been hearing something all night," Tris said, mentally preoccupied.

   Felicia and Madison sat troubled by Tris vague answer.

   Tris stood fast enough to startle them both again.

   "Okay. You're freaking me out," Felicia hissed.

   "Someone is outside," Tris said, her voice manipulated by anger. "I can hear them, shutting our car door in the front."

   Madison looked out from one of the big windows overlooking a portion of the front library. They were upstairs, a dozen feet from the center of the library to their left. Madison couldn't see anything with the sand storm. This is what happened in towns like this, when sand was everywhere. The darkness didn't help with seeing what was out there. It was like a swarm of dirt and sand blowing across, obscuring her sight.

   "Maybe they need help," Felicia suggested.

   Tris couldn't put her finger on it but her guy was twisting into tornado knots. "They are not here to be friends," she said calmly. "Wake up everyone, quietly."

   "I'll make sure they are all armed," Madison said, rushing off.

   Felicia put on her jacket in a frenzy. She was scared and breathing in and out fast.