Chapter Sixteen

Felicia

"I don't like this." Felicia stayed in the truck, everyone else exiting. They were in front of a medical clinic. The door was left wide open, possible any walkers already evacuated. It was almost dark and it was dangerous to drive at night. The runners would be out.

"It's the best we've seen, and we can't go to far," Madison said. "Stay in the truck." She hadn't want Brennon to go out. Not until things were guarantee safe.

Christian and Jeff went to Scott out the clinic and kill anything, undead. Jeff made a great addition to their group.

The kids climbed back inside, sitting quietly. Brennon was being shy, when she would usually complain about her circumstances. Felicia suspected it was because of Jacob. He was two years older and she was experiencing a crush.

"We need to give Tris a chance to find us." Madison ran her fingers through her hair.

Felicia reached over, squeezing her hand. "Fine. But one night. We can't procrastinate." Felicia trusted Tris would find them and knew slowing down to much would be at a higher risk of their lives.

Christian out, lifting up his thumb. "Let's get to it." Felicia turned off the truck, and grabbed her bag. "We need to switch out on watch duty."

"I'll take the first watch," Madison offered.

"No. You have barely slept," Felicia dismissed. "Christy. You'll go first. You wouldn't survive through the night without sleep and very observant. Use you while your fresh on rest." Felicia somehow taken the reign of leadership. She took a breath. "We are a team. I'm not trying to dictate. I just no the last time we split up, we were unprepared."

"We won't make the same mistakes," Christian said, looking off with anxiety. His sister meant a lot to him. He kissed Christy's lip. Don't leave the front of the clinic and don't stand in the opening of these windows. Peek but don't make yourself a target." Christian handed his girlfriend the monoculars.

She went and took her seat in front of the door, twisting the blinds closed. There was a few local businesses nearby. It was sparse on the zombie department in this part of town.

They were sixty miles from where they last rested.

Felicia went to the medical exam room, inspecting them a second time and searching for anything valuable. There was nothing in the cabinets or drawers. Going into the next room, Felicia opened the door not expecting anyone inside. She leaped back, blindly reaching for her knife when she realized it was Madison.

Her shirt was off, skin torn at her thigh. She found a few gauze pads and saline to wince off her wound. Felicia rushed over, hysteria swarming inside her chest. Eyes bulged out, she pressed the back of her hand at Madison's forehead. "We're you bitten or scratched?" There were tears threatening to escape from thought alone of losing Madison.

Touching Felicia's shoulder, Madison shook her head. "I cut my leg on the stairwell going down the Emergency escape." The cut was deep; about three inches long.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Felicia asked harshly.

"Because, you would have stopped and that would have given anyone who was trouble, chance to find us." Madison dabbed at it and Felicia snatched the gauze from her hand.

There was frustration in Felicia's posturing but fear in her eyes. She cleaned Madison's wound, and went to the drawers in search for things to use. She found a suture kit and lifted up in relief.

"Do you—"

"Tris showed me how." Felicia continued to clean out Madison wound thoroughly. "We need to find antibiotics."