Chapter Twenty-One

Tris

The anxiety of not knowing how her family was kicked Tris in the face like a horse rattled by a snake. Tris was jumpy and ready to charge into the base and claim her family back. Patience was never her middle name or distant relative. The walkers accompanied her during the day and at night so did the runners. Fortunately, she collected no injuries.

An entire week went by, watching as the base sent out their scouts and runners of their own. Tris had followed them a few times, searching for any weaknesses in their base. It was well guarded, fences ten feet high all around. At the back end of the stadium, everything was blocked off by the strong walls. They even had a few standing high a top the roofs. Tris thought they only had one exit which was stupid in her opinion until she got close enough to notice rope and climbing gear at the roofs. Three lanes of robe, dangled only ten feet down on the fifty feet high wall from the stadium building. Runners or walkers couldn't climb up or down, but if they needed a back way exit they had one. But they were smart not to leave the rope hanging down, for someone like Tris to use it to climb up. And she would have. It would have been too tempting not to.

If only cell phones still worked. There was no way pf reaching them. One more week and Tris would make herself known and see if she had a chance inside.

"What about my brother." A woman screamed out, the sound of a struggle at a distance.

A man snickered and grunted. He sounded as if he was beating the woman. "If I was you, I'd forget that crazy brothers of yours."

The woman panted, groaning in agony. "We did nothing to you."

"True."

Tris ran from car to car, making it around the corner and peeking out. "Shit," she muttered, recognizing the woman and now the voice. It was the woman who'd kidnapped her. Jeana and Valentin. The ghouls. Tris ignored her inner conscious that told her, she was a ghoul too.

"Shoot her again? I want to see if she dies this time," the man grinned. It was Chunky, one of the guys Tris saw early that week. He was with a different group. Three of them.

"No. Jared will want to see her," another man hissed.

Chunky gave a sadden expression but went onto his next train of thought. "Shouldn't she go straight to Justice? He is the top man."

"We'll leave that up to Jared." The man who seemed to be calling the shots yanked the Jeana up, her hands cuffed behind her back. She was bleeding from her chest and forehead. "Bitch, if you don't get to walking, we can cut off those legs since you act like you can't use them."

"My brother," she snarled, not caring what they did to her.

Tris peeked out, noticing Jeana at an angle. Only she would be able to see Tris. Jeana took a minute to notice Tris as they dragged her another ten feet.

Her eyes widen and she screamed. "My brother." Tears fell from her eyes.

Despite how her brother tried to assault and then kill Tris, the twisted need to take care of Jeana's brother compelled her to help. Imagining, Christian out there alone no matter what he did or was. Tris nodded, a show that she would help.

"I'm telling you right now. If you don't..." the boss man of their personal expedition pulled out his long knife.

"Okay." Jeana gritted her teeth and stood weakly. They dragged her off.

Using her nose like a hound would use hunting an escapee, Tris followed the fresh scent of blood. The closer she got, the stronger it hit her nostrils and burned her eyes. Several blocks opposite to where they were headed, Tris moved swiftly as if every second mattered.