Chapter Thirty

Felicia

Thunder roared in the sky with grey clouds. Out of all the days that was spoiled by warm air and a bright sun, today was the wrong day for thunder to come. They'd be heading out today, to overtake the FEMA building.

Everyone sat around on the benches, going over their plans. Justice would stay behind to keep his people safe. Though it was a hard decision to make, Madison would leave Brennon here with Christy, Jeff, and Jacob.

"I've decided to stay too," Felicia blurted out.

Both Tris and Madison looked up, studying her to come up with a reason behind her decision.

Felicia shook her head. "I. Barely learning how to face off against a herd and runners." She ran her hand over her arms as if she suddenly developed chills. "I'm not ready for something this big. If I have a choice...I prefer to be here and protect our family."

"You know...we don't see nothing less of you for the way you feel. I know...and Madison knows, if it came down to it...you'd come and keep us safe."

Felicia leaned in, brushing her lips over Tris. Madison smiled, massaging Felicia's back. "I'd be more of help...keeping eye on our family."

Tris nodded. She glanced up, catching Justice watching them. "Are we entertaining?"

He shrugged. "Not especially." He averted his eyes. "My apologies. It's just...I'm always surprised by new ways to love."

"Hmm," Madison smirked. "I agree. Even I find myself surprised by this." She wiggled her fingers between her lovers and her and leaned back into Felicia's side.

Staying behind was just as scary and intense for Felicia, not being there to make sure Tris and Madison came back. She wanted a proper goodbye before they left. They'd be off with Patrick, Christian, and eleven others.

Standing, Tris held out her hand. Felicia took it, Madison saying her temporary goodbyes to Brennon and the others.

"Stay safe. And, if for whatever reason it is no longer safe here, go back to the gas station where you first dropped me off." Tris always looked to the future as if everything was going to hell.

"We will be fine. Please don't focus on us." Stepping close, Felicia kissed her softly. "Take care of each other."

"We will." Madison embraced Felicia, "Thank you. I will feel much better knowing you will be here with her."

Goodbyes were said. Eyes lingered on another until Felicia watched them leave

*

Tris

It took nearly thirty minutes of a drive to reach the FEMA building. Expecting it to be a two story building, Tris was relieved to see that it was not. Justice had said it wasn't but, in Tris imagination, she pictured a bunch of glass windows and two to three story buildings. It was a gated building, a large parking lot to the side.

Tris mouth agape, finding the walkers moving like giant ants in random directions. There was about forty of them alone in the parking lot, circulating each other. Their dead feet dragged as if exhausted from miles upon miles of walking.

"Let's circle the building once." Tris wanted to get a full picture. At the back of the building was a smaller parking lot that could fit about fifty cars, half the size of the front parking lot. The black gate stretched around the building, keeping the dozens of walkers on the outside from coming in. As they slowed, the walkers on the sidewalk turned slow, taking notice. They were in three vehicles.