Chapter Nineteen

Madison

Sitting on leather couches, Madison reached out to hold Felicia's hand. Brennon was cuddled to her other side, exhausted and ready for a nap.

Christian sat on a separate couch, opposite of her with Christy resting her head on his shoulder. He leaned forward, speaking in a tone that could barely be heard. "This is intense. No matter what, lets not split up."

Madison nodded. She knew being separated would be a red flag none of them wanted to face. "I agree. No separation."

"Deal." Felicia squeezed tight, kissing Madison's cheek. "I hate this, but I know Tris was right," she whispered.

Nodding, Madison smiled weakly. After driving another five minutes, leaving Tris, they'd ran into a scouting crew and was escorted to the stadium. Now they sat in a building, separate from the actual stadium.

Someone stepped out of a room, wearing a casual expression. He studied Madison and Felicia pressed together, grunting and then waved his hand. "Boss wants to see you all."

"Finally," Jeff sneered. They'd been waiting nearly an hour.

"He's very busy." The man waited at the door.

Standing, Madison continued to hold Felicia's hand. If he and anyone else was a homophobic, she rather point out they were gay now, then join and they find out later with harsh reactions. She waited for him to move out of their way, avoiding the idea of brushing up against him. When he stepped into the room, they walked in.

There was a multitude of chairs, a large desk. A man with white hair, in his early fifties sat on the other end of the desk. He stood, being polite and smiled. His office was wide and well lit. More like, there was actual electricity. Wired cords stretched along the corner floors, going through a hole to another room. "Please. Sit," he offered. He had a glass of wine next to a few papers on his desk. He studied the papers on his desk as if they held the key to their future.

Seconds rolled by, making Madison's neutral expression work double time. She channeled in what Tris would do under this circumstance and cleared her throat.

The man looked up with a frown. He wasn't impressed by her interruption of thoughts. Madison didn't care. Tris wouldn't have cared. This man had them wait nearly an hour. She was sure, he already knew what he was going to say.

"If you aren't going to let us come in without making us feel shitty about being alive right now, please tell us now." Christian sounded so much like his sister right now, with less use of vulgar words.

The man finally acknowledged all of them and smiled toothily. "Well." her linked his fingers, resting them on top of his desk. "I am Justice Prim."

Jacob snorted. "That sounds like a transformer name."

Madison didn't watch any of the Transformer movies but it did have a similar ring to it that made her think of the movies. Carrying on, pass the young boys caught in a trap humor, Madison introduced herself. Everyone did the same, being greeted with silence again.

Justice nodded, sinking into his chair, arms draped over the armrest. "Did you all, accidentally come this way or was there intent?"

"Intent," Felicia answered. She straightened in her chair. "We helped a family and they told us of this place. We all figured, it would be nice to find a place to feel a bit safer in."

"This place, does not provide a bit of safety." He sounded offended as if Felicia told him to lose weight. He did have too much of a stomach, but that was not the point. His arms stretched out wide, emphasizing the base. "Our base, is a safe haven to everyone. No danger presents itself here and we screen those who come in."

"No offense, but, we aren't completely safe until all those zombies are put to rest." Christian wasn't going to act like any place was safe. Having their guard down would be dangerous. This place was already making him concerned.

Justice nodded. "Fair argument." Justice studied them, pinching his chin between his thumb and index. "Have you been out there, alone since the beginning?" He continued to watch them inquisitively. They smelled clean but clothes were dirty.

"Yes, we have." Madison spoke softly. "We know how harsh it can be out there. And we are all here because of each other."

"Yes. Team work makes a huge difference in survival." Justice frowned and concluded something. "Every meal and night is earned."

Madison narrowed her eyes, peaking to Felicia as if to guess what he was trying to say without speaking.

"What I mean is...everyone has a job here. We all do something to keep this place safe and running." He looked to the window that looked out to the stadium. "Tonight, you all can rest. Mingle and have the people feel you out. If majority approves, we can talk about how you all can contribute."

"And, what about our weapons. I suppose you want those?" Christian was making a statement and not asking a question.

Justice answered anyway. "Of course. We don't know you." He smiled widely. "But, if you all fit in, you will get them back. Just not for this night."

Christian got up. "I'm not interested."

Frowning, Madison shifted to Christian pleading with him to relax. His eyes pleaded back. She can see what he was saying. Tris would never be separated from her weapons. But did it mean they had to always do things the same way Tris did? They needed to compromise. Justice was awkward to be around, but this place could be legit. If they wanted a real chance at finding a place to settle in, they needed to do their part.

"We'll part with our guns for now. But, we won't leave our knives." Felicia gave him a new offer. "I get you want to keep everyone safe, but, we have to learn to trust you just as much. Personally, you all could be crazy and attack us and there is more of you than us." Felicia held her index up. "Lastly, you'd miss out on an opportunity to have experienced individuals within your group. How many here, have been out there long enough to know how to survive and kill the zombies easily. And what locations are the worse or possible to go and turn into a second base." Felicia smiled, knowing she caught his attention. "What do you have to lose? And what will you gain in having us?"

He smirked. "Lawyer?" he asked.

Felicia shrugged. "Was in law school, before, all of this." Felicia waved a hand out.

Taking a peak, Madison frowned at Felicia, realizing she never knew that. Felicia avoided sharing too much of her past. Being ignored, Madison waited for Justice to respond.

"All fair points." He smiled. "I agree to your offers. Patrick," he called out.

The guy came back in. "Yep."

"Take them to where they''ll be staying." Justice stood, putting his hands in his pockets. "I'm sure you all would like to shower and eat. Then there's social time at six."

They all nodded. Soon after, they began following Patrick out, making it to the front of the stadium. There was huge concert style tents all over. They headed into one, curtains, separating into corridors. Bunk beds and cots were placed in between each.

"This is you all," Patrick chimed out. It was a tight space, but they managed to fit three sets of bunk beds inside their space.

"Thanks," Madison said.

"Come. Shower with me." Somehow Felicia's invitation made Madison's body ache in all the right places.

Brennon was already in one of the beds, sleeping. Christian and Christy were laying on the bed together. Seemed everyone was tired but Madison and Felicia.

"Please," Felicia whispered in her ear. "I need you."

By that, Madison smiled. "I need you too."