Chapter Three

Felicia

   The closer we moved through the back of store the darker it got. Not to mention the smell. That was more than enough to keep us from walking further into possibly danger. We grabbed most of all we needed. Snacks. Batteries. Matches. Fresh bottled water and a few other things.

   Swiftly, I grabbed Madison's arm pulling her with me into cover between shelves.

   Madison looked at me exacerbated.

   I mouthed runners and Madison took a deep breath holding up her weapon of choice. My own emotions were running on high. I fucking hated runners. Out of all things to face right now, I didn't have a great track record in facing them. Facing off with walkers was one thing. Runners could absolutely paralyze me.

Soft hands brushed up my arm. "Breathe." Madison said, in a comforting tone. She took a long breath and blew out slowly. She repeated and and I copied her breathing as I slowly began to relax my shoulders. She smiled and I nodded, signaling I felt better.

A sharp grunting moan came from on the other side of the long stretched out shelves that stood up to six feet high. There was a runner literally on the other end of us. I dared myself not peak around.

My body tensed back up as Madison kept her hand on my shoulder. She continued to breath in and out slowly. I did the same. We were near the cleaning supplies section; probably why the runner couldn't pick up our scent.

Loudly, the runner bumped against the shelves and I squeaked terrified. It was like it just snapped into realization that we were here. As if fist were being slammed into the shelves. It shook everything. The runner screeched loud, gaining other runners attention.

Madison tugged my arm. "Let's go."

I grabbed a bottle of bleach, running as I tried opening it. When I did, a runner came blocking our way out of the aisle we were in.

The runner moved in full track speed. Madison heaved up her ax, swinging it like a bat and cut the runners head halfway off. The runner head flopped back blood slowly oozing out. I came close and could make out the vertebrae at the top of the half separated head.

I splashed bleach onto Madison. She leaped back. "What are you--"

Groans sounding like a frustrated animal unable to catch its meal came from around the corner. I poured bleach on myself. The strong bleach aroma distracted the runners from our own personal scent. We were at a advantage, the runner swerving its head from left to right, unsure where to go.

I hopped over the cash register, Madison skirting around another as we headed back to the front of the store. From the corner of my eyes I noticed a CD player in the crevice of a back pack next to the register. I moved swiftly grabbing the backpack and then ran to the front door, slipping out right behind Madison.

   We ran several feet out. I turned just as hands reached through the crevice of the double doors. The sun was barely rising but out enough to make the runner screech. It's hand shot back inside and I took a deep breath knowing we were safe.

"What the hell did you grab?" Madison shoved me, angry and wanting answers. "You could have gotten yourself killed."

I held out the backpack. Walking up, Madison shook her head still upset.

"I'm sorry." I meant my words. The impulse to go back for that bag was bigger than my fears at the moment.

"You scared the shit out of me. When I went through the door and didn't see you I thought..." she blew out, hands shaking. she rolled her shoulders, mumbling to herself to relax.