Chapter Twenty-four

Felicia

Christian rushed into their small sleeping area, finding Madison and Felicia talking on the bed. He went to their side, eyes wide and eager.

"What's wrong?" Automatically, Felicia feared the worse.

"Tris is here, in the camp." Christian voice squealed but managed to stay low. Though they were private by appearance, it was only due to the curtains that separated them No walls to barricade their conversations. He knelt between them and continued, lowering his voice.

Jeff stood near the opening, guarding their secrets.

Quickly, Christian told them what happened and how Tris offered herself to prove she wasn't lying. When he was done, Christian stood and paced. His eyes told them everything.

"We can't go and show interest. There is a reason she wanted you to pretend you two were strangers. Once she figures out who we can trust, she'll make things known." Felicia knew staying ignorant was the only way.

Madison shared with Christian what Justice wanted them to do. So for the next few hours they discussed their options.

"I think we should agree. I'm sticking to that." Madison frowned. "Look. From what you say, Justice could be a honest leader. And if he is...we need to show we are useful. We won't go off until we have Tris at our side. But we can still go along with the plans without her."

Felicia thought longer. "Tris would help them rather they wanted her in their group or not. Fine."

Everyone nodded.

Brennon moved into her moms arms, feeling wry of their plans. "Why can''t we just be like the other people. Let the others do it."

It was fear coming out of Brennon's mouth. She was almost twelve. Felicia reached over and combed some of Brennon's hair from her face. She grabbed her hand, guiding Brennon to sit next to her on the bed. Air seemed thin in her throat, chest heavy. Fear could be paralyzing and therefore dangerous Felicia learned that lesson instantly when Tris risked her life for her. Felicia had froze out of fear when a runner nearly attacked her. Tris lost a finger for protecting her. "You know. Before I met your mom and Tris. Christian." Felicia nodded up to Christian and he smiled back. "I had a grandma. When the sickness came and people changed. It was scary. I remember...my best friend. She lived next door to my grandma's house. We all hid in the apartment together. She was the brave one until she got sick too."

As she told the story, Felicia could feel Madison watching her. There was a lot Felicia had been holding in. She hoped opening up would help Brennon.

"I didn't know how to handle the change. I was scared."

"I'm always scared," Brennon admitted in a small voice.

Felicia nodded. "Me too."

Brennon narrowed her eyes, incredulous of Felicia's statement. "You don't act scared."

Grunting, it took a bit for Felicia not to curse. "Oh yeah. I hid in that apartment with my grandma for three weeks. I never left."

"Then how you meant Tris?" Brennon asked, eager to hear the rest of the story.

Smiling, Felicia looked up at Madison and then sighed. "I was peaking out of the window, like I normally did. Hoping for someone to come. An army or something, when I noticed this woman running out of a pawn shop into danger. All to help a screaming woman. I don't know." Felicia lost herself in the thoughts roaming through her head. "Something about her, told me to take a risk for once. That I will okay, if I just reach her." Felicia focused back on Brennon, smiling. "So I got my grandma and we went to the pawnshop and Christy opened the door for me."