Chapter Twenty-Six

Tris

The door to her locked room opened. Getting out of bed, Tris stood subjecting herself to scrutiny. Either they would keep their promise and let her out or try and hold her here longer. The stunt they pulled last night was understandable but she still wanted to punch them in the balls. Tris suspected they had discussed the ultimatum, Christian and Felicia's gave them.

Tris had to admit, her brother had the smarter negotiating genes in the family. He was right. Felicia was right. They expected too much for the possibility of nothing in return. If she could hold the base, it was a sure way to make sure they had a greater chance at surviving.

"So?" She lifted both hands, gesturing for them to make a decision.

Justice stepped to the side, extending an arm out. "You help my people. You help me. And the base is yours, contingent on you and I partnership. We split the findings and build a set of protocols when they will be most needed."

"First. It's we. I might be the crazy one who comes up with crazy ideas. But you know who the smart ones in my family." Tris smiled. "And deal."

He nodded.

Tris walked through the door, Justice and Patrick giving her space. She followed them out the extended amount of hallways and outside. Her eyes adjusted to the light. It was in the morning, breakfast being served.

"What are your plans with the siblings?" Tris asked.

Justice sighed. "They are both recovered and demanding to leave."

"And?" She pushed forward.

"It honestly comes down to security and properly escorting them out," Patrick admitted. "We don't want them coming back causing trouble or fighting us and breaking free within our camps."

"There too much of a risk to keep." Justice stated firmly.

"Perhaps, I can help you with that part. I developed a special bond with them both in my own way." Tris was being sarcastic but she knew she had a better chance with the siblings then them.

Justice nodded. They continued through corridors and outside concrete paths until the found the bleachers. Guards stood at every entrance way. Looking down, Tris was amazed by how much they had. The Stadium itself had turned into a mini town. Huge tents probably for sleeping areas and other designated places. People roamed about and chattered as if the world outside was nothing more than a time away on an extended vacation.

"I'll take you to your family?" Patrick insisted. His eyes told Tris he was not giving her an option. She was sure he'd try and give her some threat.

"Meet me in the training room in thirty." Justice walked off, back up the bleachers to his office.

They walked silent for several seconds until Patrick stopped. Tris did the same, waiting for him to get what he needed to say out. He stared out to the people. Their was wry in his eyes for them. "Justice is a fair man. Sometimes I think he's too fair." He crossed his arms, lurking over her with his height and weight. Tris naturally took a step back. "I want to believe you are no threat to us. I want to believe you deserve that base. I think you don't. You haven't earned it."

"And why is that?" Tris asked, casually, unaffected by his demeanor. He narrowed his brows, considering her question. Tris continued. "No really. Why? Because I haven't been here long enough to gain anyone's trust?" Tris held back her anger, taking a breath. "I didn't short cuts when I was out there. I didn't abuse the abilities I gained. All I have been working on is keeping my brother safe. I had to kill my own parents. I was a trained medical professional and I killed. I could have turned my back on others but welcomed them in. And they accepted me. I think you are looking at this the wrong way." Patrick straightened his spine puzzled by my words. "I think this is a mutual benefit. I think, we if we view this as a mutual gain of respect and trust. Because you need us just as much as we need you. Perhaps, you needing us more." Tris turned and walked off, leaving him standing alone. He eventually caught up and escorted Tris to her family.