Chapter Two

Tris

I was about ready to just face off with the runners from the house because of how close they sounded but figured we'd make it back just in time.

I swung the hotel door open and shut it behind.

"Took you long--"

I signaled everyone to stay quiet.

"What is it?" Christy asked.

My stomach churned as if drinking spoiled milk. Something felt different from my normal senses of runners and walkers. "Runn--" as the words were slipping pass my lips I cut myself off when I inhaled what smelled like diesel. Lots of it. Diesel and rotten flesh.

Something inside me kicked in. "We need to go."

"What about the--"

"We need to get the fuck out of here, now," I snarled, eyes burning as if lit on fire.

I swung the door open making my words become raw reality. I tossed my brother the shotgun. "Use it."

Stepping out, I rushed to the ambulance, unlocking the doors. I waved the kids to follow. The girls listened except Brennon. Kylie and Katheryn hopped in back.

Christian, Christy, and Felicia hopped in the police car.

"Come on, Brennon. Now." Madison screamed at her daughter.

Instinct jolted at my bones as I leaped back shutting the side Ambulance door closed. Right as I leaped to the side a knife penetrated through the door where my head previously rested. I twisted out, facing the open street.

Baffled, I stared a second longer. It was three individuals. From forty feet I could see their egg yolk eyes with squiggly red veiny lines around the pupils. They looked like savages. Like cocaine induced addicts times four. Like people you'd walk a far distance around in the street. Like individuals we did not want to know. They twitched every few seconds unable to keep still. In their hands were chains that were stretched out four feet. Attached to those chains were runners that moved like wild dogs ready to be set free to attack. There was no way humans were controlling the runners like trained attack pets. They didn't seem human and I heard no heartbeat. I knew the moment I moved those runners would be set free.

Bolting for the hotel room, I snatched Brennon against her will and flung her into the back of the ambulance. She'd live with a bruised body.

Just as I turned a runner was inches from grabbing Madison. It was lit on fire like a Christmas tree. Diesel adding to their foul aroma. Swiftly, adrenaline and something more inside me I'd yet to understand, brought me to react in unnatural speed. I sliced my katana downward cutting off the first runners arms. The runner screeched trying to take a bite out of me. I smelled more human today. Awesome. Probably due to the seagull.

"Get in," I screamed. I did not look back to see if she would listen. I knew Madison would.

Another runner came up just as I slid my Katana into no arms.

I expected to find more approach me. I looked back toward the area where those individuals stood. They were still there, this time watching me like I was auditioning in a talent show. The few other runners they had were still on their chained leaches.

I grabbed the runner approaching me by the neck. I was less afraid of them by the night. I'd been practicing on my basic self defense abilities and all that now made me different. I'd grown much stronger and faster. My senses were heightened and very much utilized. I could leap higher and farther.