Chapter Twenty-Three

Tris

Morning came to slow. The anticipation of going on a scavenger hunt was gnawing at Tris. She almost left during the middle of the night. Valentin was in out of conscious on the carpet brown floor. Sitting up on the couch, Tris was impressed with herself for being this kind to a man who wanted her dead not to long ago. Probably still wanted her dead. And here she was being civilized.

When the sun was out, Tris left, leaving a note for him to stay put as she went out to find out what happened to his sister. An hour of waiting near the location she'd find Valentin, Tris knew the guy known as Jared would be wondering where his two goons were.

A car came down the road and Tris hid between buildings as it stopped and Jared stepped out. He looked around, as if expected the men to run out and say, 'you found us.'

Three others exited the car and when Tris saw her brother, she nearly called out to him. Christian stood a distance from the others, uncomfortable but confident. Tris didn't have him go into the comfort of safety, only for them to pull him back out.

"You sure you left them here?" One of the men walked several feet from Jared and scrutinize his scenery.

Jared huffed, displeased in being questioned. "Like I said. They were supposed to go find some new supplies and come back." He pointed to the ground where Valentin's blood now stained. "Looks like something occurred here."

Frowning, Tris realized her was hiding his actions from yesterday to the new men around him. Pretending to know nothing of how that blood got there, it did comfort Tris a little to know there was a strong chance the leader of that base wasn't apart of his wrongful actions.

The man cupped his chin and then pinched it between his thumb and index. "Okay." He lifted his gaze to the rest and snapped his fingers. "You two. Search around. Maybe they hid for the night."

"Sounds good, Patrick."

This was Tris's chance. She noticed Christian and the other guy move toward one of the building on the other side of the street from her. They'd be searching around together.

The man, who seemed to be higher up then Jared, placed his hands on his hips. He seemed to study Jared. "Is there anything you're not telling me?"

"Like what, Patrick?" There was attitude in his scowl.

Shaking his head, Patrick turned his back and walked over to the arm that once belonged to Valentin. He bent down to pick it up. Using his other hand to cover his mouth and nose from the smell, Patrick studied it. He turned to Jared again.

A few zombies strolled their way and Patrick placed the arm back on the ground and stabbed both zombies in the head. Cleaning off his knife he put it away and frowned back down at the arm. He pointed to it and looked up at Jared at the same time. "That arm...does not belong to Chuck or Tim." His lips were pursed, staring accusative.

Jared shrugged. "So. They probably took out a zombie."

Huffing, Patrick stepped into Jared's personal space. "You forget. I was a cop once. I know when I see a murder scene." His eyes narrowed as he stared down at Jared, two inches taller.

Poking out his chest, Jared snorted. "Calm down. Don't go making rash assumptions."

"Why are there shell casings. Where is this bullet proof zombie. And why does the arm look fresh. There was a puddle around the arm. Blood seeped out of it. The moment one becomes a zombie...it just sits, coagulated."

Tris frowned, waiting for Jared to defend himself. Perhaps Jared's actions were being hidden by the leader of this base.

They had a stare off for several seconds and then Jared just laughed. He clapped his hands then turned, putting space between Patrick and him. Coward move. "Look," he grunted. "We ran into someone. He was...we thought he was a zombie. Chuck...dumb fat ass he was...shot the poor guy." Somehow, despite not being their for that part, Tris knew he was lying. "But...here's the thing. Chuck shot the man in the chest. Clean hole in his chest and he only looked down at himself as if being caught pissing on himself."