Chapter Eleven

Tris

We weren't farmers and nor had farmers insurance. There was no pamphlet to tell us how to run this land or grow crop. A week here and I saw no purpose to staying. Everyone seemed burnt out being in the road. Mentioning the idea of leaving brought friend to everyone faces. But time was up. We needed to head to Arizona. The only way we could possibly be safe. The thought of being in a bigger group did not appeal to me but this wasn't just about me or Christian. Everyone deserves a chance to try and see if there was a safer place then where we been holding up in since the start.

If things were not as Carl described it fallen apart, aerospace and leave the notion of safe based to the rest of the world. For myself,being bitten and not fully unchanged could be dangerous. The possibility of being locked away. Experimented on, or killed didn't appeal to me.

"What's going on in that head of yours?" Christian say beside me on the porch. He bumped his shoulder against mines. His way of showing love." from what I see, you got both women. You should be happy."

"I didn't get both women. We are equally interested in each other. There's a difference."

He held both hands out. "My bad. Poor choice of words."

Facing back out, I studied my brothers features. When did I miss it? The youth and smooth layer of skin was gone, a beard was forming under his chin and curving up his jawline. His eyes were more defined. Curly hair down to his ears. I thought for some time and looked at my watch clicking the knob.

"Shit, Christian." He only have me a puzzled expression. "Your birthday. I forgot it." As if the day was irrelevant, he shrugged. "With all the shut we've been through, your birthday should always be something to acknowledge. You're still alive. You are still human. And if on any day, you should celebrate that on your birthday."

He nodded, understanding my words. "You've been busy keeping us all alive. Don't give yourself a hard time for forgetting my birthday. Hell, I only remembered a few days ago and it was last week. Seriously sis. Stop looking so guilty." Christian reached across my shoulder and squeezed me in a side hug.

It was early in the morning. Not yet ten. I could procrastinate but that would be pointless. "We have to leave today."

Christian snorted. "I was waiting for you to say that." He stood, stretching his arms out to the sky. He was getting skinny. "I'll let everyone know to start packing."

I dug through my pocket and tossed him a poptart. "Here. Eat something. "

"I have been eating. I've also be running around with you for a few months. Better than gym excercise." He waved the Poptart out. "But I'll keep this."

I rolled my eyes as he entered the house. I stood, the air smelling clean. That was comforting.

~

Felicia

It would be nice to stay on the farm. Tris was right. Staying here would be a delusional decision. Their were walker herds being spotted on occasion. We were too close to Multiple major Cities.

   We all climbed into the ambulance, Christy, Christian, and Brennon in the  police car. In the road for the last three hours, Tris sucked in air.

   I peeked from the backside of the ambulance, sticking my head between Tris and Madison's seat. "What's wrong?"

  "The engine light is blinking." Tris pointed ahead. There was a sign. "We're a mile from Victorville."

   "What do you want to do?" As I asked, the ambulance hissed.