Chapter Fourteen

Madison

   Stepping down on concrete, it was a sure sign, she'd made it to the ground. In the alleyway of the library, Madison half blinded by sand and harsh winds watering her eyes, she had to rely on instinct. She kept her eyes closed as possible. "Hurry up," Madison muttered.

   Waving her axe out, her fingers ached from how tight she gripped it. She reached out, finding the truck, only a few steps away. "Once you step down, the truck is like..." she coughed, some sand slipping through her shirt covering her mouth. She could feel the pebble if sand in her mouth... "it's three to four steps to your left, away from the building."

   "K," she heard Christ shout out.

   Madison moved around the truck, when a pair of cold hands gripped her arm. In terror, Madison reached out, seeing a walker ready to take a bite out on her arm. In sudden reaction, Madison grabbed the old lads walker by its grey hair, yanking it's head back. The walkers head jerked back, a small portion of its scalp ripping off with shreds of hair.

   A knife pierce the top of its skull.

   Madison looked as the walker dropped and Christy stood before her, panting fast. She tried blocking the direction of the wind and sand from her eyes with her hand. "You okay."

   Lifting her thumb up in a gesture, Madison also lifted her axe with the other hand, slamming it up and over I to another walkers skull. "Let's go. Get in."

   Hearing the other end of the truck open, Madison popped the front seat forward , having Christy climb into the back.

   "I have Jacob and Brennon inside now," Christian shouted.

   In relief, Madison squinted her eyes trying to look for Felicia and Tris. "What's taking them?"

   "Felicia was behind me, mom," Brennon shouted, in the safety of the back seat.

   "Fuck," Christian groaned.

   "Christian," Christy screamed, hearing the moaning of a walker echo through the breathing of wind.

   "Stay inside," Madison barked out, shutting the front door. She slid around the truck, leaving her axe in the driver front seat, and pulled out her four inch knife. It would be easier to use, from her vision being partially insured.

   The wind died down, finding Christian on the ground, wrestling a walker. Just as she was about to help, Jeff grabbed the walker by its short hair and stabbed his knife into the side of its head.

   Christian leaped up, Jeff helping.

   Someone bumped Madison and she moved to defensive, ready to stab another walker when she looked up. It was Felicia.

   "We have to go, now," she said in a panic.

   "You two, hip in the back of the truck," Madison ordered Christian and Jeff. "Watch our backs."

   Felicia shoved me to the driver end. "Let's go."

   "Where's Tris?" Felicia changed motion and twisted Madison to the passenger side and shoved her to climb in. Madison did, unsure of what was happening.

   Felicia ran around climbing into the front driver seat and handed Madison the axe. Felicia locked the doors, shutting her eyes for a second. "Die down," she muttered. It would be dangerous to turn on the truck only for a swarm of sand to get inside the engine and choke it to death.

   Everyone kept shouting to Felicia for Tris whereabouts. Felicia ignored.

   Madison gripped Felicia's arm just as the sand swarm went down to more of a whisper of wind.