Chapter Eight

Tris

"We need to get to highway 126. I prefer not to deal with big cities and big highways." I knew there was no way to avoid walkers and runners. In order to get to Arizona, we'd need to head back slightly down and go across Santa Clarita and other Cities. "Back roads are our friends."

I looked over to Christian and to the back for Christy. "Fucking great." They were both sleep and I was talking to myself. I nodded my head. I could do with some alone time. My running thoughts could take breath to the surface. I huffed out, wondering about my future. Was I basically heading to Arizona to turn myself in? I'd be trapping myself. I frowned, clicking my fingernails against the steering wheel. Biting my inner lips, I contemplated what was best for everyone. If this base was as secure as Carl made it sound, I wanted that for my brother and everyone else. I looked over to Christian. I never got along with my parents, but when they were dying, that asked for one thing. Me to protect him.

Stuck in my thoughts, I wondered if my parents truly loved me. I wanted to believe they did. In their eyes, was the trust in knowing I'd do anything for Christian. They trusted me on their dying breaths. I hated the time lost by their ignorance and my anger because of it.

Finished with old painful memories came the thought of Madison and Felicia. They'd been constantly on my mind. I loved both women. Madison was not interested in a trio relationship. I couldn't be mad about that. A few months ago, if Madison would have walked into my life first, I would have never considered Felicia. The start of my relationship with Felicia was rocky. I'd been rude and distant with her. And in the course of trying to survive, I'd fallen for her.

There was an older man and woman sitting in the middle of the two way lane. We were on a back road. The older woman, who appeared in late sixties, stood slowly, using her walker. They were very much a live. The older man continued to sit in his camping chair.

"Ain't this about a bitch," I hissed to myself. This was one forceful way to trying to get a ride. No. I could not stop for them. Even though they were older, it changed nothing. People had a natural ability to forget that old people could still be thugs and criminals. They'd had a history. The simple fact that they were sitting their fat asses in the middle of the highway was to force us to stop. They knew damn well, that was a dick move. Further, how the hell were they still alive?

I slapped Christian in the arm, startling him awake. "What? Where are we?" He asked briskly, eyes red and wide. He'd been in a deep sleep.

I pointed ahead. "We have grandparents on the road."

Literally, the man sat on one end of the road, the older woman on my end. I touched the brakes, holding off on approaching. "Signal for Madison and Felicia to not exit their car."

Christian rolled down his window sticking his arm out to give our special, stay in the car signal.

I climbed out the car, Christian taking over in my place, in case we needed to bolt. my fast speed would make me safe.

Cautiously, I glanced around, looking into the trees at both sides of me. I took the rest of the steps forward toward the old couple. They were about thirty feet from where Christian and Madison were ready to launch off. "What can I help you with?" I asked, not hiding my irritation.

"Oh lord. It's a sweet young thing," the old woman waved her hand out to me, talking to her old friend, hubby, or whoever. "Dear. We have been on the road, and our car broke down a mile, further up."

"Well, we're heading that way, and are not planning to turn away." My tone was sharp. I'd had old patients in my EMT career. They could be rude and intrusive. "You can't just block the road."