Chapter Nine

If you haven't checked out my published book yet, I hope you do! This is why I write...to reach as many readers and fall into the imagination of possibilities with me!
A romance between two women who understands the hardship of being a Paramedic! It will be what brings them together! I Belong with Her amazon.com/dp/0999737058/... #Amazon⁠ ⁠ #lesbian #romance #paramedic

Madison

   I sat most of the evening alone. Occasionally, Brennon would come and lay her head on me while listening to music on the CD player Felicia risked her life to gain. I smiled, remembering how brave Felicia was and went back I to feel thought.

   I had a few big decisions to make. Tris had called me out on my bullshit. Without realizing I'd been hiding my feelings for Tris to my daughter, Tris had noticed. I could see the hurt in her eyes when she called me out. I'd been hurting her all while complaining about her feelings for Felicia.

   I had no clue how to handle the Tris and Felicia ordeal, but I could accomplish one decision. I found Brennon sitting on the porch with Christy. I smiled politely, Christy standing and reading my face.

   Walking over to where Brennon sat, playing with chalk she'd found in the house. I stared off to the open field. The grass was browning up.

   Brennon stopped using the chalk, looking up at me with wry eyes. "Mom. You are freaking me out."

   I smiled. "Yeah. That's supposed to be your job." I let her look about when I patted the porch. "Come here, honey."

Studying me with her mom's eyes, Brennon sat beside me. She tried biting her nails and I pulled her fingers away.

"You know. I miss your mom every day."

"I know," Brennon said, at peace with that. "I miss her all the time. But, I'm glad she didn't live to see this. She'd freak."

I laughed. "Yeah. Your mom was never a fan of zombie movies."

"Remember when I wanted to be a zombie for Halloween. She banned me from wearing a zombie costume."

"Yeah. She would have grounded you too," I said, smiling to that memory. I leaned in to kiss the top of Brennon's forehead. "You are beautiful. Just like mom."

"And strong like you," Brennon said, softly.

I was nervous. The last thing I wanted was to ruin this moment. I loved my daughter and wanted her to be as happy as possible in this new dangerous world. Chills ran up my arms. "I don't ever plan on finding another woman like your mom." Brennon seemed to look up to me. "For a long time, I thought I'd never want to be happy again. And then—you understand Tris and I, sorta grew up together."

Brennon nodded, eyes obscuring to an expression I couldn't read. "Yeah," her tone was unreadable.

"I will always love mom. I just, also, loved Tris as she got older." Brennon turned her head away. "And when, I saw her again. At her house. All my old feelings rushed back to me. And I realized, I don't want to miss out on loving her a second time."

"But. She doesn't like me. She thinks I'm a brat."

My mouth fell a little open.

"She told me when you went off and she picked me up," Brennon clarified.

"Okay," I said slowly. I held in my rolling if the eyes. Tris wasn't helping. "Tris isn't use to kids. But, she does like you. And honey. You have been mean to her."

"Only because I know you like her," Brennon defended.

I opened my mouth only to close it. She'd always known how I felt about Tris. What was the point of hiding? "Yes. Mom more than likes Tris, honey. I love her."