Chapter Eighteen

Madison

They'd been driving for another hour. Stopping at gas station, they were fortunate to find unused gas, a few bottles of water and a small collection of canned goods. All appeared capable of use. Grabbing a State map of Arizona, from what she could read, they were only thirty minutes from the stadium.

Everyone moved back to the vehicles, ready to continue on. Tris lingered next to the entrance of the gas station. Madison twisted, finding a frustrated look wonder into Tris's eyes. She recognized the look all too well. She was about to make a decision, no one would want to hear. Somehow, Madison knew what she was going to say.

"Tris. We aren't close yet." Walking the distance between them, she wasn't ready to say bye to Tris yet. Felicia stuck her head out of the car, realizing what was happening. "We have time."

"How much time?" Madison knew Tris wasn't trying to sound cynical. She'd accepted her reality and wanted them to do the same. "If I had a safe base, with a military unit at my disposal; I'd have scouts further out. For all we know, there's one watching us now."

"Is there?" Felicia asked.

She knew Tris enhanced hearing would have picked up any distant sound.

Tris shook her head. "But my point is, they can be waiting in the next ten minutes and I'll be caught with you all."

Madison knew she was right but it didn't make this any easier. She huffed, hands on hips. Hating this idea, Madison needed to do what was best for everyone. When she looked to Tris, she found her lips curved into a smirk. Rolling eyes, Madison frowned. "This isn't funny."

Stepping in, Tris curled her arm around Madison's waist, reeling her in. "I know. But you looked so sexy pouting."

Arching a brow, as if insulted by the observation, "I did not pout."

"Actually..." Felicia butted in, but went silent from Madison's hardening stare.

"Don't start on me too." Madison was about to huff again, knowing they'd laugh. She brushed her hand up Felicia's arm. "Tell me, I'm not the only one dreading this?" she asked Felicia in more of a plea.

Carrying a new expression, Felicia glanced to Tris and grimaced. "I hate this." She looked back to Madison. "But, she's never disappointed me. I trust that she won't start now."

"Thank you, for saying that." Tris relaxed, needing their support on this. She looked to Madison again, with hesitant eyes. For years, the only opinion that ever mattered to her, besides Christian was Madison's. Now Felicia was added to that and if none of them supported her decision, it would make this all harder. She finally gotten her brothers and Felicia's. It came down to Madison. "We've been through a lot. And the last thing I want is the split up. But I can't go in just yet and not with you. But, if this potentially a safe place, shouldn't we give us a chance at peace. Not just for us."

Madison turned, seeing her daughter with big eyes, watching them from the car. Pinching the bridge of her nose, Madison nodded.

Ever so softly, Tris leaned in, brushing her lips against Madison's lips. Madison fell into the caress, easily. She leaned in closer, their bodies brushing from intimacy. When their lips parted, Tris smiled and looked to Felicia. Giving enough room for Felicia to slip into Tris's other arm, they held each other. Madison watched as Felicia grazed her thumb over Tris's bottom lip. They kissed with a deep groan.

"Try not to come to us with anymore missing fingers. We'd need those," Felicia joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Is that a requirement to stay in our relationship?" Tris asked in a playful tone, looking to Madison for her answer too.