Chapter Seventeen

Tris

   "How do we know going to Arizona is safe?" It was Christian who asked the question. It had been two days, mostly consisting of driving.

   Standing outside of the cars, staring at the sign 'Welcome to Arizona, Tris preferred not to answer. She didn't want to face reality just yet.

   Tris sat on top of the cop car. The sun was out and it was too hot to be wearing clothes. Since everyone was aware of her being once bitten, she could expose her arms. It had to be well over a hundred degrees and it was still morning. They were running low on water. Another days worth. The chances of finding a stream of water was as likely as finding a cure for this zombie apocalypse in the next day.

   Tris knew what was worrying her brother. What was eating at Felicia and Madison. The thought of this military refugee camp finding out what Tris was and taking her as a hostage to experiment on, crossed Tris mind more than anyone. Her brothers question was valid.

"Your safety comes first," Tris ended up saying. It was true and the only answer she had.

   She dug into her lower pocket of her pants, pulling out a stick of gum. Stale, Tris worked her jaw into softening it up, having little luck. She chewed anyway for a distraction.

   Madison reached out, placing her hand against Tris knee. Squeezing it lightly, "Get out of your head."

   A groan escaped her lips. Tris couldn't help evaluate her future, even though she didn't want to. Going to that camp could be a death sentence. Getting out of my head would be easier if someone just removed the temporal lobe of my brain that controlled thought and emotions. "We don't have a choice."

"We have a choice. Let's just turn around and find somewhere else." Christian was scared.

"Where, Christian?" I lifting my hand out, toward the opposite direction. "Tell me, where will we go?"

He frowned and lowered his head in defeat. It was in his demeanor. Memories of the night their parents attacked her and nearly left him alone in this new brutal world.

   Tris sighed, and glanced at Madison.

   Clapping her hands, Madison nodded to an parked car, a few dozen feet ahead. "Let's go check out the car. Maybe there's something useful."

Everyone walked off, knowing Tris wanted alone time with her brother.

Lately, Tris had been forgetting her brother was still a kid. She'd been giving him so much responsibility and forcing him to grow up fast. He'd matured in the last several months. Siding off the car, she held her hand out. Christian took it and she pulled him in for a hug. For a few seconds, they embraced and Christian began to break down. All the emotions he'd been holding in, opening up like a blossomed flower.

   Tears wet Tris neck and she held him tighter. Her own tears flooded from her eyes. They'd endured so much. The loss of their parents. Him being kidnapped and her shot and bitten on more than one occasion. So much was against thing. Chill ran up her arms and spine, knowing she couldn't promise him safety. "Talking me into coming to Cali for vacation, was the best thing you did for us." More tears swelled around Tris's eyes. It been on her mind how she nearly backed out of coming and going on her private vacation. The thought of him being alone the night their parents turned, Tris didn't want to consider. "I'm sorry. I never gave you the chance to grieve for our parents. And, I keep worrying you."

His sniffs were quiet. Lifting his head from Tris shoulder he kept his head low, wiping tears away. His shoulders trembled, fighting away more times. Shaking his head, Tris's heart ached seeing the pain he held inside. "I can't lose you. If I did. I would kill myself."