Chapter Twenty

Madison

Social hour was a required attendance. If they wanted to make an easy transition into this camp, they'd need to make an appearance. Madison took her daughters hand, leading the way toward where everyone was gathering, standing in line to get their dinner. There was old school picnic tables and a bunch of foldable long tables and chairs structured into a circular rotation around a large fire pit.

People stared at them, curious to who they were. Madison had not seen this many people in months and was realized to see other children for Brennon to potentially play with. Her daughter needed some normalcy again, at a limit. The chances of Madison letting Brennon run off with a bunch of kids without her eyes on her daughter was zero chance.

She wanted to feel excitement in being here but if Tris was unable to be here, it would make liking this place much harder.

They carried their trays, making their way to an empty table. Felicia took a seat on the other side of Madison bumping her shoulder. "Breathe a little."

"I'm just worried about Tris."

Felicia smiled. "She's fine. How is Brennon handling being here?"

Taking a peak at her daughter, Madison sighed and whispered back. "I think she is hopeful here. I'm more worried she'll get attached and then something will happen where we'll have to leave and this breaks her even further."

"What if this is as good as it seems?" Felicia was good at making her face all her possible obstacles. People walked by giving a nod and Felicia smiled and nodded back. "I mean. So far, this looks like a miniature town. Regular people trying to survive."

Madison sighed, taking a bite from her corn. "Then...I we stay."

"And if they don't except Tris?"

And that's when things got tricky and Madison wanted to ignore that question. If this place was legit and they didn't take Tris in because of their rational fear of her, what kind of mother would she be to take her daughter out of a secure place? She loved Tris but Brennon had to come first.

   "Tris would never let you jeopardize your daughters safety." Felicia reached across the table and squeezed Madison's hand. "Let's just focus on table. And if this place is not what it seems, we'll be ready. Maybe, if you would allow I can take Brennon off and we can talk."

   Madison narrowed her eyes.

   Laughing, Felicia rolled her eyes. "It's not about what you can't do or say to cheer her up. I was her once. In a shell. Afraid I wouldn't make it in this world. Tris...and you. All of you have now given me the courage and strength to believe I'll make it. She needs to find her confidence in knowing she will make it."

   That was hard to hear. Madison wiped a tear quickly away, knowing Brennon needed some guidance and maybe someone like Felicia who understood exactly how she felt could help. Madison needed Brennon to start fighting internally and even physically. Her daughter had yet to take down a walker and if she didn't learn soon, a day would come when she needed to and Madison feared the worse. "Okay."

"Good." Felicia was about to lean in to kiss Madison's cheek when a man came over to sit at their table.

Christian narrowed his eyes sliding down the seat to give Christy distance from him. Jeff only looked cautious.

"Well. Hi. I don't mean to bother. It's just. It's been a hot minute since we seen a new face and I wanted to introduce myself." His eyes lingered in Madison. He seemed friendly but also excited. "My cousin and I thought you two ladies would like to accompany us to the night session we have before bed. All the adults come together once the kids are in bed. Justice feels we should still try to interact as if we all at a party or bar just mingling. A great way to not lose our humanity."